fx-8350 safe temperatures

Associate
Hi guys,

Just wanted some advice regarding the temps on my fx-8350 cpu (running at 4.6Ghz)
the max temp I ever got was 46º
Recently I sent the system back for my h80i to be replaced as the led on the block stopped working, now I have my machine back the temp has hit 60º under virtually the same loads and with all the settings for the h80i the same as before.

I've been told it could possibly be because a cheaper less effective thermal compound has been used.
But I just want to know what is a safe temperature for it to be running at under load?
And if any of you guys have the same cpu what temps you get with what coolers.

Cheers :)

Associate
At 100% load a CPU going over the 70º mark is cooking and shows there is a problem.

If this is the case I would recommend taking the heat sink off, cleaning the thermal paste and reapplying. :)

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just wanted some advice regarding the temps on my fx-8350 cpu (running at 4.6Ghz)
the max temp I ever got was 46º
Recently I sent the system back for my h80i to be replaced as the led on the block stopped working, now I have my machine back the temp has hit 60º under virtually the same loads and with all the settings for the h80i the same as before.

I've been told it could possibly be because a cheaper less effective thermal compound has been used.
But I just want to know what is a safe temperature for it to be running at under load?
And if any of you guys have the same cpu what temps you get with what coolers.

Cheers :)

AMD specify 62C but do not specify if this is core or CPU temp specifically, I have heard both.

Running prime at 4.7GHz on 8 workers, I have hit 65C to 68C CPU and core temps without the thermal throttling kicking in so there is a bit of overhead on the recommended.

I have done multiple IBT runs at 4.8GHz which took it up to 68C. Also extended render tasks will be similar.

However I can do the AIDA burn in test, x264HD benchmarking, Cinebench at 5GHz and not exceed the recommended AMD temperatures.

I have a Phanteks air cooler and general usage under load, gaming etc. do not usually exceed 50C at 4.7GHz.

Normal browsing, office etc. it stays around 35C. Idle low thirties.

This is dependant on ambient of course.

Associate
I did a test at the end of last year, on an M5A99X Evo, it cuts off at 90c socket temp.

Do Not take it this high, i did it purely as a test to see when it happens. i'd personally be unhappy with any temps over 60c. (an oc'd 6200 and a H60 can take it over these temps in P95, even with 2 AF120's in push/pull. Everyday usage inc encoding doesn't go above mid 50's though)

Last edited:
Associate
AMD consider the max safe temp for the FX 8350 is 62C. Anything past that can possibly damage the CPU if running for a long time. Keep in mind that software readings are off by several degrees.

When you say it hit 60DegC is that constant or just a spike with all cores under load?

Your temps are within spec and you are not running 24/7 with full load then you should be OK.

The only solutions as suggested is taking the heat sink off, cleaning the thermal paste and reapply.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-8350.html

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Im reaching these temps whilst playing battlefield3/skyrim etc... not whilst stress testing, is that acceptable? As I have no idea whether these games would take my cpu near max load, shouldn't imagine they do?
And no im fairly certain its not a constant temperature, as I use both core temp and the corsair link program to record my temps. It does say the tj max is 90º but I know this is far to hot.
Normally when I tab out of a game the current reading will be about 43-56º

As for re-applying thermal paste, I wouldn't feel to comfortable doing that as I dont have much experience with building/repairing computers. I literally just play them lol.
It just made me worried because prior to sending the machine back to ocuk for repair the max temp never went over 46 º and now it's doing it every time I play games.

But going by what you guys are saying, so long as it doesn't stray above 60º for a prolonged period of time all is well?

Associate
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Im reaching these temps whilst playing battlefield3/skyrim etc... not whilst stress testing, is that acceptable? As I have no idea whether these games would take my cpu near max load, shouldn't imagine they do?
And no im fairly certain its not a constant temperature, as I use both core temp and the corsair link program to record my temps. It does say the tj max is 90º but I know this is far to hot.
Normally when I tab out of a game the current reading will be about 43-56º

As for re-applying thermal paste, I wouldn't feel to comfortable doing that as I dont have much experience with building/repairing computers. I literally just play them lol.
It just made me worried because prior to sending the machine back to ocuk for repair the max temp never went over 46 º and now it's doing it every time I play games.

But going by what you guys are saying, so long as it doesn't stray above 60º for a prolonged period of time all is well?

You should be fine if it between 43-56º normally

I was just think on your h80i cooler can you change the pump speed or fan speed to improve cooling

Was this changed when you had the unit replaced?

Soldato
i'm getting 68* on me 8150 when CAD rendering overnight, stock cooler and speeds though so I should assume that either:

a] its perfectly alright doing that because the cooler is for the cpu at stock

or

b] it's going to go bang and i'll be in for one hell of an rma

Associate
OP
yes i can change the fan speeds through corsair link. all the settings are the same as before, even if i put fans to maximum it still runs quite a lot hotter than it did before i sent it back. but the noise coming from the fans when on full is ridiculous so i can't have it at max speed for long lol.

i think i'll just put it down to the thermal compound, maybe they used a slightly cheaper one which isn't as good compared to what i had before.

Caporegime
i'm getting 68* on me 8150 when CAD rendering overnight, stock cooler and speeds though so I should assume that either:

a] its perfectly alright doing that because the cooler is for the cpu at stock

or

b] it's going to go bang and i'll be in for one hell of an rma

It will probably do neither, a more likely scenario would be it throttling to safeguard the CPU and your CAD rendering will take longer.

Associate
I get around 48-54C mac with prime 95 (kraken x60 with akasa viper push and pull)
Clocked at 4.8Ghz, doesn't go no where near 45 when gaming

Soldato
Been during some Thermal tests on a CM 212 air cooler and even at 76 degrees I saw no thermal throttling during prime95. Im not recommending this one bit, feels very unsafe but very interesting too.

Back
Top Bottom