Samsung pro 840 vs OCZ Vertex 4

Associate
Another vote for the Samsung here. I used an OCZ Vertex 2 drive for 2 years which died on me recently. I switched to a Samsung 840 Pro and love it. To be fair to OCZ, their RMA and Customer Service was excellent even though I've heard a few bad stories about them, I had no problems.

Associate
My OCZ Vortex 2E died last week, after no less than 4 months of use, i have RMA'd it directly back to OCZ on Monday, they have advised today that a new Vortex 4 replacement is on its way to me, which is good, so their RMA service is really good tbh.

Lets hope this 2nd (newer version) drive lasts longer than the original :)

If i had to spend my money again, knowing what i know now, i would have gone with a Samsung or someone other than OCZ if i am honest, despite the good RMA service.

Soldato
What capacity btw?

I know at least one other person with a 120GB 2E with no issues.
I did have one or two issues with the 64GB ones in some laptops but put it down to the users being bell ends :p

Associate
What capacity btw?

I know at least one other person with a 120GB 2E with no issues.
I did have one or two issues with the 64GB ones in some laptops but put it down to the users being bell ends :p

Mine is/was a 64GB version, maybe its just the 64GB ones which are known to be somewhat technically challenged :)

Associate
I've had about eight ocz drives and ive not had a single problem with them. Maybe they are the most returned drives because they are the most sold.

Saying that I'm gonna get myself a samsung 840 pro next week and hopefully it will be £190 well spent

Associate
Had an OCZ 2E 120GB for a couple of years now and not had any problems. Updated the firmware a couple of times which may have helped. (Have I jinxed it now? :) ).

Also have a samsung 830 which "feels" a lot better and not had any issues and is as I bought it. Came with a usb to sata adapter and a copy of disk cloning software in a nicely presented box.

Soldato
Everyones bad reviews of OCZ drives are all from drives based on the SandForce controller. Vertex 4's have the Indilinx Everest 2 controller which has proven to be a lot more reliable.

I've had drives from both companies die. It's mostly the luck of the draw.
Both of the drives are good, get which ever is cheapest when you purchase.

Caporegime
My OCZ Vortex 2E died last week, after no less than 4 months of use, i have RMA'd it directly back to OCZ on Monday, they have advised today that a new Vortex 4 replacement is on its way to me, which is good, so their RMA service is really good tbh.

Lets hope this 2nd (newer version) drive lasts longer than the original :)

If i had to spend my money again, knowing what i know now, i would have gone with a Samsung or someone other than OCZ if i am honest, despite the good RMA service.
Not bad on the replacement. Two weeks ago my 15 month old vertex 2e bigfoot went pop. Got a refurbished agility 3 in today as a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom