Barclays wont increase my overdraft?

Associate
Barclay's did the same with me, they flat out refused to increase my overdraft from £200, so I upped sticks and buggered off to another bank who gave me £2000 straight off the bat

Soldato
That is very strange as student overdrafts usually increase each year on most overdrafts I saw. I would go straight to a bank and speak to someone there, explaining why you want a bigger overdraft.

Soldato
Have you tried internet banking, my overdraft is currently £3500 and it was all pre-approved by Barclys on the internet banking site. I've since put it back down, but they have put it back up again.

ps. I don't use the overdraft facility, but it's nice to know it's there.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried internet banking, my overdraft is currently £3500 and it was all pre-approved by Barclys on the internet banking site. I've since put it back down, but they have put it back up again.

ps. I don't use the overdraft facility, but it's nice to know it's there.

Ye but I dont see an option in my account to increase it anywhere...

Where abouts is it usually located?

Soldato
If you do change banks, don't go down the HSBC route in terms of overdrafts. I apparently can ask for my 'interest free limit to rise up to £1500' as I'll be going into my 3rd year BUT my overdraft will not stretch more than £1000 since my year 1, because HSBC judged me as not suitable for an extension.

I use my HSBC as student account, all my accomodations, uni related money goes out from there so I can keep an eye, whilst all my work money goes into my Lloyds. Apparently HSBC don't give a **** about money goining into Lloyds as prove of my income, it has to go into their account or my overdraft stays.

Stupid. Especially when I'm about to go away and need the extra abit to cover my final month of accomodation cost whilst not spending money which I've reserved for bringing abroad.

Associate
Banks are under no obligation to provide anyone with an overdraft. People should also bare in mind banks can cancel the facility at any time and demand repayment in full with just 30 days notice! Overdraft limit does not equal free money.

Associate
Student over drafts very often equal free money!! I have a £2000 Natwest graduate overdraft and a £1750 HSBC graduate overdraft. HSBC wrote to me the other day to congratulate me on my graduation and welcome to my graduate account. Despite graduating 2 years ago....and writing to close the account around the same time.

Associate
I tried to increase my student overdraft with barclays a few years ago and they wouldn't at first, my mistake was telling them it was for a PS3. I wouldn't have had it not been for me increasing it the year before for a tele in the branch, I told the woman and she laughed and put it down as general spending, so I did the same again and it didnt work.

I actually had the money (-ve money) available to buy the PS3 but didn't want to have zero money available, for obvious reasons. The woman on the phone told me if it was for books etc. she could do it, but not for a PS3.

so...I went and bought the PS3 and rang back.

the new woman wouldn't either, she said "the problem is, it's now on your account that you wanted the money for a computer system and now you're telling me different", so I said, "I've actually just bought the PS3 and now I have no money left for books", she increased it and all was well!

Try going into the branch, from my experience they're a lot friendlier than over the phone! Also, try not to mention than it's for a car or whatever, just say that you're planning finances for next year and you know you're gunna need it for books/accom. etc. They should let you if you give them any sort of reason!

Associate
Do it online.

I keep my overdraft at max and have money in savings account that i transfer as and when necessary. So when i went into HSBC and asked for my £1000 limit to increase to £1500 as i was going into 3rd year and its allowed, she said no.
I went home, applied to increase to 1500 online and bam, within seconds its done. What a wasted walk to the branch!

Caporegime
I tried to increase my student overdraft with barclays a few years ago and they wouldn't at first, my mistake was telling them it was for a PS3. I wouldn't have had it not been for me increasing it the year before for a tele in the branch, I told the woman and she laughed and put it down as general spending, so I did the same again and it didnt work.

I actually had the money (-ve money) available to buy the PS3 but didn't want to have zero money available, for obvious reasons. The woman on the phone told me if it was for books etc. she could do it, but not for a PS3.

so...I went and bought the PS3 and rang back.

the new woman wouldn't either, she said "the problem is, it's now on your account that you wanted the money for a computer system and now you're telling me different", so I said, "I've actually just bought the PS3 and now I have no money left for books", she increased it and all was well!

Try going into the branch, from my experience they're a lot friendlier than over the phone! Also, try not to mention than it's for a car or whatever, just say that you're planning finances for next year and you know you're gunna need it for books/accom. etc. They should let you if you give them any sort of reason!

lol, wut?

you can't be serious

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom