Barclays wont increase my overdraft?

Soldato
I know people with 2 student overdrafts, its pretty cheeky but doable.
Yeah I was one of them, DO NOT follow my example. Took me a lot of hard work and a fair amount of time to pay them both back post-Uni.

If you don't have the money to go on holiday then don't go on holiday. If you get your OD extension you'll just use the lot, won't have any available for the rest of your time at Uni and will have pay it all back (with interest) when you leave Uni and are working.

Soldato
I struggled to get £1000 from barclays....

How long can you have it before they want it back from you?

They dont really specify that you have to pay it off by any given time. They would prefer if you reduced it year on year but I didnt for the first couple of years after graduation and they didnt say anything. I finally cleared my overdraft about 5 years after graduation and not once did they send a letter to ask me to pay it back any sooner.

Soldato
I know people with 2 student overdrafts, its pretty cheeky but doable.
Also know someone that is stuck with 500, hes maxed it and doesnt have enough money, you could always stop your student account paying off the over draft and they getting
it elsewhere.
I've got a few... it doesn't seem to be cheeky. I'm not overdrawn with any bank - but I have the option.

I thought if you wanted to increase your student overdraft limit you could just ring up and do it?

I rang up and asked them to put it from £500 to £1500. They said no im not aloud it becuase I already have £850 in the bank and wont need it :confused:

Barclays wouldn't increase my overdraft - ever. My overdraft was opened at £1000, and after 6yrs, it is still £1k, despite being in universities ever since. It is supposed to be 'up to' £2500 I think. They just wouldn't increase it... no idea why I have excellent credit history.

Natwest would always increase it, but I had to be conservative in my request... it was originally £200 (as it is a 2nd account), they upped it to £600 with no agro - but I had asked for £1000.

Finally, HSBC offer no quarrels, at all. I opened the account and they gave me £1400 as I was a 4th year student - despite this being a 3rd bank account.

Friends have had no problems with Halifax.

But, they did give you the reason.... Empty the money from your account and try again....

Soldato
I graduated 10 years ago and still have a student overdraft facility on my Barclay's account of £3500... Account regularly drops to -£3500 as I use it to pay work expenses as it is a much cheaper form of credit than a credit card... Have never had a letter or been asked to reduce it.. that said the account sees anywhere between £3000 - £5000 hit it each month when I am paid my expenses.. so I really don't think they care all that much as long as the account is active

Associate
I've still got a £10 overdraft limit from my student days, 11 years ago. They just wont take it off, I've given up asking them.

They wont give you an extension for the things you are asking for, you might be too late to go back and change your reasons now.

Try a different bank?

Back
Top Bottom