Those of you with induction hobs in your kitchen...

Soldato
After several months/years what sort of state is your hobs surface in?

Is it still basically pristine? Nice and shiney? Or is it scratched and/or blemished?

The reason I ask it we had one fitted just a couple of months ago and have been exceptionally careful using it. But already it's showing obvious blemishes in the glass surface. These are seemingly not on the surface, but below it, within the glass. It's an obvious smearing/discolouration of some sort. It's not bad, but it's obviously there. What's it going to be like in a years time?

What I don't know is should this be expected or not!? Hence if anyone else out there with induction hobs could comment on the state of theirs it might help.

Ta...

Soldato
You can get products that clean it well and then can polish it and fill in scratches. I don't think they're even that expensive. I've used these on ours for the last 3 years and after a clean it looks more or less new bar one particularly nasty scratch.

Soldato
OP
You can get products that clean it well and then can polish it and fill in scratches. I don't think they're even that expensive. I've used these on ours for the last 3 years and after a clean it looks more or less new bar one particularly nasty scratch.

The mark's I'm referring to are not surface scraches IMHO. They're blemishes within the glass itself. I don't think any amount of surface cleaning will get rid of them!

Don
Really? So if you look at the glass top, you'd say it was basically as new? No obviously blemishes where the pans sit on it?

I'll have a proper look next time I'm round there, but whenever I've used it in the past I've been impressed about how easy it was to keep clean. Certainly after cooking it left marks of the pan bottoms on the surface but these then wiped off with a damp cloth afterwards.

Caporegime
I just replaced mine with a gas hob. Looked ok when I moved into the house but after 3 year of use, the rings I use the most were all scratched and non-shiny. It was an Ikea hob if it makes any difference.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
We had one for about 10 years when I still lived at home. I don't remember it getting any blemishes in the glass but it used to get stained, despite cleaning it each time. We used to have a scraper with either a razor blade or a Stanley blade in the end, as it was actually a very thin coating on the surface. The blade didn't scratch the glass and brought it back looking like new.

Associate
No problems here at all with ours. We have this cleaner stuff, that is like a cream and for "induction hobs" (il get missus to find out what it is, its her department)

Wouldnt go back to a normal one ever now!

Soldato
OP
We had one for about 10 years when I still lived at home. I don't remember it getting any blemishes in the glass but it used to get stained, despite cleaning it each time. We used to have a scraper with either a razor blade or a Stanley blade in the end, as it was actually a very thin coating on the surface. The blade didn't scratch the glass and brought it back looking like new.

*high five*

This is why I love this forum!

I'd already tried various clearning fluids on the surface, including even isopropyl alcohol, but on your advice I put some washing up liquid down, and used a wet plastic scouring pad expecting nothing to happen because TBH, the mark(s) looked like they were in the glass.

Voila! Mark(s) gone!

Many many thanks, at least for pointing out an obvious method I simply didn't think would work!

Soldato
OP
No problems here at all with ours. We have this cleaner stuff, that is like a cream and for "induction hobs" (il get missus to find out what it is, its her department)

Wouldnt go back to a normal one ever now!

And do you use just a cloth? Or a plastic scourer as well for example?

Back
Top Bottom