2kg Roast Beef

Soldato
Ok i have a 2kg joint of beef I am going to slow cook. How long do you suggest i do it for? i was thinking 10-11 hours? How do i prepare it? I want this to be a really juicy and tasty piece of meat, also what herbs shall I use? I am unable to put anything with any hint of warmth on it? I have an open bottle of red wine from saturday and most herbs you can think of and most cupboard essentials. SO HELP LA :D

Man of Honour
What cut of beef is it? That will decide the best way to cook it more than anything else.

I would just salt it personally. Save the juices that you get from it and combine those with some of your red wine and herbs to make a nice gravy to go with it.

OcUK Staff
How does browning off the outside, then cleaning the frying pan used to do that with the red wine, then that tipped over. Slow cooked on a bed of challotes (spelling?), with maybe a couple of sticks of celery in their too sound FrenchTart? With a bit of salt and pepper.

Man of Honour
That sounds damn tasty :) in some ways it is a shame to cook top rump so much though. It would be very nice cooked rare/medium-rare. If you have loads of time try cooking it at only 60c after you brown it :)

If you prefer slow cooked and/or well done then you may want to baste it every hour or so. If it starts to dry out add a bit more red wine to the tray.

Soldato
I wouldn't slow roast it. Not the right cut to slow roast as it'll end up too dry.

I'd cook 2kg for (20min per ~450g) plus 20mins end for medium, then rest for 40mins. You want about 2hr cooking time, but if you have an internal thermometer take it out when the meat is about 55-60c in the very middle, as it'll continue to cook when you rest it too.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't slow roast it. Not the right cut to slow roast as it'll end up too dry.

I'd cook 2kg for (20min per ~450g) plus 20mins end for medium, then rest for 40mins. You want about 2hr cooking time, but if you have an internal thermometer take it out when the meat is about 55-60c in the very middle, as it'll continue to cook when you rest it too.

** No need for that comment *** slow roasting stuff leaves the meat tender and moist slow cookers are designed that way.

"Easy carve"
What makes it in particular easy to carve? What have they done to it?

*tries hard to look very intelligent and snob like.
how the heck should i know? :D:D:D

Soldato
Do you slow roast every kind of meat then? Would you slow roast a chicken breast? Fillet of beef?

Good luck with that. You obviously know what you're doing since you had to ask in the first place. ** Make your point but refrain from the personal attacks ** If you cook it in a slow cooker, for example, you want to ensure you have a ton of moisture/ liquid, which then isn't roasting, it's braising it, but you know.

Soldato
OP
Do you slow roast every kind of meat then? Would you slow roast a chicken breast? Fillet of beef?

Good luck with that. You obviously know what you're doing since you had to ask in the first place. How about you go **** it up with your long ass cook. If you cook it in a slow cooker, for example, you want to ensure you have a ton of moisture/ liquid, which then isn't roasting, it's braising it, but you know.

Yes I put every kind of meat in and it works perfectly. I have never put 2kg in that is why I asked ** please keep your complaints off the forums and stick to the RTM system please ** ALso fyi there is liquid in the slow cooker just enough to cover the bottom of it.

Soldato
** comment removed **

Slow roasted, and using a slow cooker are 2 different methods. I don't recommend slow roasting a top rump as it WILL dry out. Using a slow cooker is different, as you will ultimately be braising the meat in the juices and liquid.

Soldato
My first advice was in no way aggressive. It was fact, and you called it a load of ****, so naturally when someone offers you advice and that is the offensive response, I am going to be offended.

Slow cooking is not slow roasting. Simple as that.

Not once did you mention a slow cooker in your post. You said you would slow cook. ;)

Soldato
OP
Ok i have a 2kg joint of beef I am going to slow cook :D
First post slow cook ^^

Good luck with that. You obviously know what you're doing since you had to ask in the first place. How about you go **** it up with your long ass cook. If you cook it in a slow cooker, for example, you want to ensure you have a ton of moisture/ liquid, which then isn't roasting, it's braising it, but you know.
right there!

Not once did you mention a slow cooker in your post. You said you would slow cook. ;)

Back
Top Bottom