Are the 12GB PS3's any good??

Soldato
I'm looking for a replacement for my existing 120GB PS3 slim, primarily because although it's "slim", it is still quite deep and doesn't fit overly well in my TV cabinet!

I've seen the new 12GB PS3's and they look a lot smaller and the 12GB is listed as "flash memory" - does this mean it's quicker than the regular PS3's at accessing data & loading times etc?

I don't use my PS3 for much outside of FIFA 13 - does anyone know whether the 12GB is all available for games saves etc and will this be enough for my use?

Thanks guys...

Soldato
12GB is a reasonable amount, although I imagine that in reality you're left with about 8 or 9GB usable at most. If you're not installing loads of games or downloading many demos it'll probably suffice.

Whether the flash memory improves load times or not, I don't know, it's probably not the fastest memory around by any means but it's probably not going to be any slower than a HDD. The limiting factor in most games is the read time from the Blu-ray.

Soldato
Bear in mind that many Playstation store games are over 10GB on their own, so with the 12GB you're effectively locking yourself out of buying pretty much anything.

PSplus is out of the question too!!

That being said, if you're only playing disc games then it's highly unlikely you'll need much more :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys!

I can't imagine I will want to be downloading many (if any) demos as I tend to use it for just FIFA at the moment!

I'm leaning towards the 12GB just because I find my existing 120GB Slim to be a bit on the slow side and like the idea of flash memory!

I think I'll have a look at the size of the game saves are on FIFA and decide whether I can get away with it!

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys!

I can't imagine I will want to be downloading many (if any) demos as I tend to use it for just FIFA at the moment!

I'm leaning towards the 12GB just because I find my existing 120GB Slim to be a bit on the slow side and like the idea of flash memory!

I think I'll have a look at the size of the game saves are on FIFA and decide whether I can get away with it!

I did a bit of research into fitting an SSD when I was upgrading my PS3, and the consensus was that it makes very little difference on blu-ray based games, but some downloaded games load quicker. I can't really see the flash memory having much of an advantage over disk to be honest =/

Associate
Yes but you need to buy the caddie seperate.
To be honest its the cheapest PS3 they sell, the flash memory is probably going to be the slowest/cheapest they can get away with, I don't think its going to be any faster at loading than a regular HDD.

Caporegime
12Gb PS3 Super Slim would be fine playing a single disk game with an install but it wouldnt work with most full game downlaods off PSN Store. I would never recommend the Super Slim if your existing PS3 is still working fine, its been built to cut costs and its pretty obvious where those savings have been made...

The Slim is definitely the one to have - perhaps with the OPs he just needs to wipe his

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
OP
The Slim is definitely the one to have - perhaps with the OPs he just needs to wipe his

It's not so much the speed (although mine is definitely a little "juddery" compared to a mate of mines so it would be nice!) but rather the physical dimensions - the existing 160GB Slim only just fits in my TV cabinet (to the point where I can't leave anything plugged into the front USB ports and have the cabinet door closed!) :confused:

Back
Top Bottom