Natwest card reader

Soldato
Any one here have a natwest account, i think i just orderd a card reader by mistake while looking into transfering money to other peoples banks.
clicked the button to see if it would bring up details of cost etc and it just stated that it had been orderd and should be with me in up to 15 days.
do these things cost anything because i really dont need it that much id want to pay for it but i cant seem to find anything about prices?

Soldato
Tell me this... Card readers, just exactly how do they work?
They don't have wireless, they don't have timers, they simply have a chip and they are not keyed to an individual.
So surely all they do it take one number, run it through the chip, and spit out a new number?
Are these not easily copied/hacked/reverse compiled?

Am I missing some level of intricy with the security on thees devices?
If someone steals your card would any natwest card reader not provide them the information they require?

Caporegime
Am I missing some level of intricy with the security on thees devices?
If someone steals your card would any natwest card reader not provide them the information they require?

The whole idea of them is that someone can't make a transaction online without the card, if someone has the card and the pin number they can withdraw money from an atm anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate the Barclays system where you have to use it to actually log into online banking... at least with Natwest it is only used to add new payees :)

Managed to go back to the old system with barclays (codes/letters) but I can't do transfers. Any transfer I do I plan ahead anyway to do over the counter so not too worried :)

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I don't mind them..I ordered another one, so have one at home and one at work..which is fine...not going to be doing transfers if Im anywhere else really...and if going abroad..can easily take one.

Soldato
Managed to go back to the old system with barclays (codes/letters) but I can't do transfers. Any transfer I do I plan ahead anyway to do over the counter so not too worried :)

That is if you click "Forgotten PINsentry" and the details you enter last around 2-3 weeks, before asking you for a PINsentry code again. And as you said, when you are logged in with a password, you cannot make transfers to other people (only between your own account).

I don't need the PINsentry device to login to Barclays Online banking. ;)

I am guessing you have not had to add a new payee?

At least with Natwest, if you haven't got your PIN reader (for new payees), you can call up Natwest Actionline and make the transfer over the phone... but with Barclays you need a separate telephone PIN. If you haven't got one of these, you are forced to go into a branch to make the payment :(

Back
Top Bottom