HSBC cash machine daily withdrawal limit?

Soldato
I thought it was £500, found out to my dismay (when I needed to withdraw a £500 deposit for a car) that it was only £200, which is way too low imo.

This was a few months ago, I do have a 'graduate' account mind, but I think the only difference is the interest free overdraft to a normal one.

Had to draw the rest out on my CC which cost a bomb.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think mine is £200 but it might vary depending on your account. The obvious reason for it being quite low is so that nobody can withdraw vast amounts if your card is stolen.

Caporegime
Bigsy said:
I thought it was £500, found out to my dismay (when I needed to withdraw a £500 deposit for a car) that it was only £200, which is way too low imo.

This was a few months ago, I do have a 'graduate' account mind, but I think the only difference is the interest free overdraft to a normal one.

Had to draw the rest out on my CC which cost a bomb.

Coouldn't you go into a bank and withdraw it all out in 1 go?

Permabanned
In 2001 HSBC reduced their daily cash machine withdrawal limit from £500 to £200 in an attempt to reduce the loss to customers of cash machine fraud. A move which in my book is a good thing. Only high rating customers OR HSBC Premier have £500 daily withdrawal by default. The rest, including students and solo only have £200 per day.

HOWEVER, you can ask for this limit to be increased without questions asked, although they may only do it temporarily. Solo customers cannot have increased until they get a proper Switch (Maestro) HSBC Account.

You can get your temp limit increased to withdraw £1000 a day (in 2 x £500 amounts). Anymore than that you must withdraw over the counter and you MUST have you cheue book or withdrawal slip with you...

HTH

Last edited:
Soldato
Oracle said:
You can get your temp limit increased to withdraw £1000 a day (in 2 x £500 amounts). Anymore than that you must withdraw over the counter and you MUST have you cheue book or withdrawal slip with you...

HTH

I've never actually withdrawn cash over over the counter, in fact I don't think I've been into a branch in years. How does it work? Do you just need a cheque book and why a cheque book, what do you do with it? Is there any limit to how much you can withdraw over the counter. Say I want to empty 100k out of my savings account will they just hand it over with nothing more than a cheque book and a signature?

Soldato
LordSplodge said:
Result! Bow down before me you Plebian £200-a-day customers... ;)
Dude, on my debit card my limit is £100 :eek:

I had to go speak to the account woman to take out £300, I couldn't say goodbye to my money though, even though i was just moving it over into a savers account, i bloody love new clean notes.

Permabanned
PhilthyPhil said:
I've never actually withdrawn cash over over the counter, in fact I don't think I've been into a branch in years. How does it work? Do you just need a cheque book and why a cheque book, what do you do with it? Is there any limit to how much you can withdraw over the counter. Say I want to empty 100k out of my savings account will they just hand it over with nothing more than a cheque book and a signature?

Yes, in effect, as long as the money is cleared funds, you have your cheque book and card, (for the amount you mention tho, you might want a passport and armed guard!).

You write a cheque to 'Cash' and amount, hand it to the cashier, she/he inputs it onto the system and then they give you your money!

Soldato
For large amounts you need to phone your branch in advance if you want it in cash. They will tell you a day you can come and pick it up. This is how it worked for my dad anyways.

My limit seems to change im sure :confused:. Ive drawn £500 out, but be stuck at £200 another time, but i'm not sure why. I might go in and ask for it to be upped to £500 just to make sure :).

Permabanned
Only if its in excess of £15. HSBC safes (although you probably shouldnt know this) are allowed to hold £100k at any one time. Removed on a Tuesday, or Tuesday and Friday if its a large branch!

If its a large branch they can old £250k, so no, there is no need to ring the branch before hand, but it is polite to let them know so they can get it ready.

Back
Top Bottom