Why are Adobe discontinuing Flash on Mobile devices?

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Works fine for me, iPhone user per chance?

Nope, Blackberry user at present but play frequently with a few other high end Android phones.

Flash in general is a **** technology and I cannot wait till HTML5 becomes fully mainstream so that it can be all but removed from the web except for truly interactive uses like casual games.

Soldato
So far Flash player on Android has been more stable than HTML5. It's been awesome for streaming Euro 2012 matches from the BBC/ITV, I'll miss the guarantee of high quality desktop content. :(

It might be integrated via Pepper Plugin API for Chrome Android or Opera in the future (the only way you can get Flash player on Linux?)

Soldato
It still works fine in 4.1 Jellybean, just not with the new default browser Chrome.

You can however install Flash just fine and run it through Firefox which now supports Flash.

However Adobe are clearly trying to kill Flash as fast as they possibly can for whatever reason, they seem to be starting the killing on Android first so don't expect Flash to be relevant at all for too much longer. Which is actually probably a good thing as it's time has come and it needs to make way for superior technologies.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
So far Flash player on Android has been more stable than HTML5. It's been awesome for streaming Euro 2012 matches from the BBC/ITV, I'll miss the guarantee of high quality desktop content. :(

TVCatchup streams in native video formats.

If people want to use Flash on devices like android they should be using AIR.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately this happens when one company (ie Apple) is able to dictate what others do simply because of market share. Personally I'd like to have the choice to have Flash or not have Flash, but because Steve didn't like it, we don't get it at all.

Soldato
If people want to use Flash on devices like android they should be using AIR.

Why? It runs great and has little impact on battery life.

The BBC are running both a Flash and HTML5 live Wimbledon web feed, you can try them both on your mobile device. (imagine it was a court 13 match that isn't on a native app like TVCatchup)
The Flash version is much more stable and consistent, HTML5 is still a year or two off prime time.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Why? It runs great and has little impact on battery life.

It has significant impact on battery life in my experience. AIR is a native and supports full system integration.

HTML5 is not prime time yet, but it's being hindered by everyone using Flash still. The sooner Adobe kills it off the better for the web.

Associate
Browser plugins just dont work very well on mobile in general. Flash will live on just as AIR, not in the browser.

Soldato
I'm always honest :)

If I can download an old version I'm sure I will be fine, I know we need a more efficient standard and one will appear (html5) to replace flash. It is just the transition where there is nothing that I was worried about. I guess most sites will be preparing after hearing the news.

Back
Top Bottom