Best way to dispose of mattress?

Soldato
what car? tie it on the roof and drop it off local refuse place, just got rid of one 2 weeks ago. Tied it to the top of a small van and chucked it in their large metal 'general waste' bin.

Soldato
CrixxzeH, I'm guessing it's a standard charge for two men, and a suitable van - our council has a similar charge and will take up to 5 items on the back of a large van (I think the exact number of items varies depending on type/size).
Which given that they'll take a couple of washing machines or similar away for that price isn't bad, as the likes of Comet will usually charge about £10-20 to do the same when they deliver your new one (so they aren't even having to send the van out specially).

Seems to be the norm these days, more and more councils are charging pickup. Thankfully the Cardiff area still collect a number of times for free each year, but I'm sure that will change sooner rather than later.

Soldato
My parents recently bought a new mattress. The old one was really worn, complete with coffee stains and my dad put it on freecycle. It was collected 2 days later by a couple who had kitted out their whole bedroom with stuff from freecycle. You'd be amazed what you can give away!

Soldato
Ring your local council. They took one of mine away for free, including a knackered double bed, just arrange the collection time, leave the mattress out on your doorstep the night before collection if possible and they won't even bother you.

Associate
You should be allowed a certain amount of pickups from your local council a year. I went on my councils website and booked a collection for my old mattress and they came and collected it no problem on the day for nothing.

Associate
It will fit in your car if you roll it up....much easier with two people then tie very tightly with rope....done it a few times. Make the knot the type of a lasoo kind and stick your boot on the mattress and pull like buggery.

Soldato
OP
are you having your new one delivered?
as I aways thought that if you are replacing like for like the company your buying from have a duty to dispose of it for you

thats what i thought i am sure i will be proven wrong

I did ask them and they said no :(

I'll take a look at Freecycle.

I personally wouldn't use the bed/mattress, but someone else might!

Soldato
rip the springs out, give them to the ****** and then set it on fire.

Between you and me though op, you killed someone on it didn't you and its blood stained so you just want to destroy the evidence right?

Back
Top Bottom