EA Origin ID changes

Associate
I know another thread has just gone up, but i wanted to make this about the stupidity that is EA and their login system.

As many of you know, the EA persona system is a joke anyway, but this takes the biscuit. Unlike steam, where you have a log in name and password, origin uses an email and password setup, then a separate ID for origin. I wanted to change my Origin ID, the main reason for the change was that the original ID i wanted was taken, so i chose another, but i discovered a better ID after creating the account. Here is a conversation when trying to complete a ID change, also, tell me if this is a difficult request

Melissa: Hi, my name is Melissa. How may I help you?
Me: I would like to change my Origin ID, how do i do this?
Melissa: Dxxxxx please follow this link for changing Your Email Address

Link: http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261

Me: I dont need to change my email, i have just created an Origin desktop account, i typed in a origin ID but want to change that now
Melissa: Could you please be more specific about the issue?
File attachment upload has started.
The file Capture.JPG (106.5KB) was received.
Me: When logged into the desktop application for games, called Origin, the ID at the upper right part of the application is the one i created when i signed into Origin. I already had an EA account and logged into Origin using this account and created my Origin ID associated with this account. However i wish to change the Origin ID See the attached file
Melissa: I am very sorry to inform you that persona is the only thing on your account once created will never be deleted.It would not be possible to change it.
Me: Can i un associate my account from origin and then create a new origin account
Melissa: You can update your account with new E-mail address however the account name will remain same.
Me: So if i were to create a new EA account and create a new origin ID, i would lose all the games i have associated with my existing EA account?
Melissa: Yes.
Me: That seems incredibly inconvenient
Melissa: You have a valid reason to be disappointed.
Me : my account is linked to an email address, not a ID though so why is not possible to change?
Melissa: Dxxxx we do not have that option to change it otherwise I would have changed that manually.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
EA and Origin ID changes

The annoying this, with something like steam, in a lot of cases, the only one that knows your Steam log in ID is you, as there are ways to hide it, with this, the login is your email address, which you will have to give away unless you have a memorable origin ID, so the opportunity for hacking is more so than steam, i dont like this at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
The annoying this, with something like steam, in a lot of cases, the only one that knows your Steam log in ID is you, as there are ways to hide it, with this, the login is your email address, which you will have to give away unless you have a memorable origin ID, so the opportunity for hacking is more so than steam, i dont like this at all.

Not really I use the same Online persona across the interwebs and I am sure I am not alone. At least Steam has Steamguard now.

Soldato
Am i being unreasonable though, i mean, is it that much of a change?

You are not being unreasonalble at all, trust me you are not alone in being hacked off by the whole "persona system as well mate;)"

I think this says it all from your conversation with EA support

Melissa: You have a valid reason to be disappointed.

I tried to merge my accounts not long ago as it was just getting silly as i had some games on one persona and some on another.

Soldato
So the name in the top right corner of the origin screen is the ID that can never be changed. That's kinda annoying. Especially because people will treat it like Steam and assume they can change it whenever they like. I know I did.

Extreme scenario: Someone that creates an ID relating to a relationship in their life (TrevorlovesTamara (someone I have on MSN)), which could change at any time, then have to live with that for the rest of their life or get a new account and buy all the games again because you can't change it.

Soldato
Extreme scenario: Someone that creates an ID relating to a relationship in their life (TrevorlovesTamara (someone I have on MSN)), which could change at any time, then have to live with that for the rest of their life or get a new account and buy all the games again because you can't change it.

I'd say they're paying for their idiocy with that. :p

It doesn't bother me that you can't change your login/account name as such, but having no other user definable/changable name is a bit off.

I wonder if they're going the whole Real ID thing like Blizzard, where you set your player name per-game, but remain with a single identification across the whole platform.

Associate
It's not like Steam is any better in this case. I would really like to change my account name as it is an e-mail address that has expired around five years ago but the only thing I can change is my profile name.

Soldato
It's not like Steam is any better in this case. I would really like to change my account name as it is an e-mail address that has expired around five years ago but the only thing I can change is my profile name.

My account name is my steam persona and I have changed email and persona several times in the 7 years I've been on steam.

Man of Honour

Why do you have to give away your login?

Man of Honour
Yep I use them, you can get vouchers from coke etc for say £10 off a £25 spend, so when they have games at 50% off you can get some good deals.

e.g. in April I got Shift 2, Mass Effect Pinnacle Station, The Saboteur and NHL 09 for under £17 all in, at the time you couldn't get Shift 2 on it's own for that.

Also in April I got Crysis 2 and Spore for under £17.50 all in, again, you'd struggle to get Crysis 2 on it's own for that at the time.

Last year, for under £20 all in I got Mass Effect 2, Medal of Honor and Command and Conquer 4, all fairly new games at the time, yet again, Steam would have been wanting more than I paid just for Mass Effect 2 on it's own.

Then there's the free games you could get when coke vouchers didn't have a minimum spend, I got Burnout Paradise, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Mercenaries World in Flames etc all for free. Oh plus Battlefield 1943 for free, got cancelled so they refunded me £10 onto my credit card even though I hadn't paid anything for it, so that's £10 of free money from EA.

Sure, if you just rock up on a random day and pay the headline price, maybe they are expensive, but certainly one of the cheaper places to get games that have been out a few months if you are a bit savvy.

Back
Top Bottom