Waitrose Group Interview

Man of Honour
It was the same at M&S. Not only that but there were way too many 'managers'. I never knew who the hell was responsible for what. It seemed to me that they handed the title out to practically anyone who jumped through their hoops enough times.

Same at Sainsbury's.

Soldato
Believe me, no one there will be wearing a suit, MAYBE a shirt. I've never seen anyone come in a suit only a guy in shirt and tie who quite clearly went red faced when he walked in.

And it might have nothing to do with the fact he might by nature be a shy person who turns red when self concious in any stressful situation, e.g. an interview?

Soldato
Anyone been to one? Anyone hold them?
Been to one for my first job all those years ago and then in later life ended up recruiting for them and colleagues of mine would occasionally sit in on them to see how the process worked. I'd imagine they still follow the same basic structure.

The essential thing is to look smart and presentable. I wouldn't necessarily worry about a suit unless you've got one that fits you well - an ill-fitting jacket can look worse than no jacket at all, although if your suit looks good and fits well then give it a whirl. You'll be taking the jacket off anyway but it's a good first impression to make, regardless of what other people might think.

Personally I'd suggest a clean, well-ironed shirt and a suitable tie (go for a classic look - plain colours are best) with smart trousers and polished shoes. Try to keep the jewellery down to a bare minimum (you can always express yourself once the job is yours) and ensure you look presentable - be that cleanly shaven, clean hair, whatever.

During the assessments you'll be asked to work in a team to solve various 'problems' and the decision on your suitability will be based on how you act. Being yourself would be the best suggestion I could make. Don't try and boss people about and tell them what to do, but at the same time don't be a shrinking violet. Try not to raise your voice, get into arguments or swear. Just be polite and calm and if you have a point to make, wait until you can make it without having to talk over someone.

Waitrose can be a fantastic place to work and the benefits are great. I sorely miss my discount card!

Good luck!

Associate
Forgive me, but what happened to becoming an RAF Pilot?
Were you not selected? I've nothing against Waitrose or shop workers of any sort, but its a bit of a leap from Air Force Pilot to Waitrose Assistant!?

No offence is intended, just curious.

Associate
I used to work there :) when I had my group interview there was only 1 person doing it, group consisted of about 10 people though.
As for suit thats up to you but it wont hurt if you do :). I went in shoes,trousers,shirt, leather jacket.

If you get passed the group interview there might be a 1 to 1 interview after that as well.

not a bad company to work for really

Associate
I used to work for waitrose.

Good company and the employee's you will find have generally been with the company for a LONG time.... just make a good first impression and pull your weight and they will treat you really well.

Associate
I find it hilarious the amount of activities you have to do in some retail jobs just to land a shop floor monkey role with abysmal pay. Shocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it hilarious the amount of activities you have to do in some retail jobs just to land a shop floor monkey role with abysmal pay. Shocking.

Yeh its a joke

Well i dont know if it is.. maybe im a joke :p ive had 3 group interviews (all supermarkets surprisingly) and obviously not got any of them..

even though i knew i performed well in all the tasks. No idea how they select from a group interview, maybe this is where "equal" oppertunities isnt so equal, who knows.

ha, just give it your best and if you dont get in you know you did well

Soldato
Having family working at Waitrose i guess i know a little about the ins and outs of my local branch.

They will always, ALWAYS favour the people who have clearly made the effort.

A suit is an absolute must in any interview, who cares even if you were the only one to wear one, shows your willingness to make a good impression.

And yes they are snobbish, at least in the Berkshire branches! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
For my tesco "till monkey role" it was just a group informal "talk" about your backgrounds and the jobs you would like to do, followed by a 1 on 1 brief interview. After that we were given a tour around the store and doing work samples in our selected areas/departments. No formal wear at all.

Second time I went in for an Interview a couple of months ago it was just a 15 minutes talk with the personnel manager to sort out the contracted hours and to get all documents in order. Again no formal wear.

Did they specify any particular dress code for the interview? Did you ask? If they say casual wear then don't turn up in a suit. I know it's Waitrose but for a temporary summer job working as an assistant on the shop floor a suit seems unnecessary.

Soldato
Personally, I feel that a suit for this kind of job (ie. Summer job), is a bit too much. If you are happy to wear the suit, then thats fine. You wont be given minus points for making the effort.

If it were me though, I would simply wear a shirt and tie, especially as it is the Summer, hence, a jacket might get too hot.

Its highly unlikely that you will be marked down for not wearing a jacket, however, you should look neat and presentable - ie. nice clean trousers/shirt/tie and clean shoes. You will be marked down if you look scruffy/dirty/filthy. Dont get too hung up on this suit business. If you feel more comfortable with the jacket on, then wear it.

My belief is that they will be looking at other aspects - your behaviour, your speech, the way you behave/react to the other candidates during the group interview. The key is to remain confident in your speech (if you are very young, usually, this is where you will fall over a little, as age usually brings an aire of confidence) and come over as someone who has thought about the position he is applying for.

I once went to a group interview for a similar position and one of the candidates was so nervous, he couldnt speak...yes, I really do mean this, he got so nervous, he lost his power of speech. After all of us started talking though, so did he. He was wearing a suit, but I'm pretty sure he didnt get offered the job. Myself, I didnt wear a jacket as it was the Summer - I was offered the job, but accepted a job elsewhere (for more money).

Also, try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Just try your best. This way, you wont be too nervous.

Good luck man.

Soldato
First impression is everything though.

I totally disagree on this point. I agree in that sometimes first impressions are difficult to get over, but if you are good, you can totally reverse an initial bad impression. Similarly, if you are crap, you could look immaculate and create a really good impression, but as the interview progresses, you will be found out.

I got to an interview really late once. Don't ask.

Anyway, the interviewer laid into me for not giving prior warning. I had a long long long interview/interrogation (90 mins, no breaks) and was offered the job by the end of it because the content of what I said was impressive, even though my initial impression was that of someone who just didnt give a damn.

I agree though, that a bad initial impression isnt something that you would want in an ideal world.

Associate
If its any consoloation, i just wore a smart shirt, black shoes and black trousers, no suit/tie but still smart and presentable compared to the other person who went in for an interview that day (tescos), he was wearing blue jeans, timb boots and a white track top jacket thing. HOWEVER that doesnt mean they wouldnt have hired someone else who turned up like that. There arent even any full blown out neds at my work either. Been workin their part time a few months now and the banter is great and the rewards for working for one of the top supermarkets is good, although the job is pretty dull, its still decent enough pay for what i work. I wont be there forever though! oh and my tesco is pretty snobbish being right in the middle of an upmarket part of Edinburgh, 5 minutes from princes st

Back
Top Bottom