Turbocharging the Honda CRX

Permabanned
Mic said:
What about the internals?
Would he be able to get enough boost on an non-uprated internals to compete with a vtec crx?

Go low-pressure, positive-displacement supercharger then - stock internals.

Grab me on emessen if you want a chat about it, dude :)

*n

Caporegime
2ndrun.jpg

Soldato
engine4.jpg

engine1.jpg

My cousins D16A9 with a T25 turbo DIY Turbo kit i built and tuned for him. Uses 345cc Prelude H22 injectors and std ECU chipped and remapped. 185bhp and 155lbft. New car he has a 2.5" exhaust and 220sx turbo, should make 200bhp pretty easy. Simons posted his dyno curve above.

Ive also done a guys Rover Coupe with a D16z6 around 6 psi of boost, 186bhp and 165lbft, agiant T25 from a 220turbo and has pretty awesome midrange torque, very fast on the road.

Another guy im helping tune his D16a6 'mini me' (std Rover SOHC block with SOHC VTEC head) has a Jackson Racing charger (Eaton M45) just running on a basemap at the mo (super conservative ignition and Rich AFR's)

Remember the engines run the opposite way so chargers are generally a pain in the ass to DIY

dyno.jpg

Will get that tuned and should have a flat line of 150lbft well past 7k so will make good power, now thats a nice road friendly power curve :D

All D series.

My old Red Coupe had the B16 DOHC VTEC with a Pulsar turbo that never got RR's was around 230bhp i imagine.

Soldato
Most the kits fron yank land have crummy Fuel pressure regulators known as FMU's which really ramp fuel pressure up as boost increases the manifold pressure.

Then they put a check valve on the MAP sensor so it doesnt see boost, you get no ignition retard under boost then so have to retard the ignition via the distributor which effects the whole map, meaning off boost the car drives like a pig.

B series swaps are pretty common on CRX's

Check www.hondacrx.co.uk/forum plenty of awesome spec CRx's there. Glen (88crxturbo) runs a D16 turbo aswell knocking on the door of 200bhp. Whilst Mark punchards (now stolen recovered) white CRX 16v ran the std 130bhp engine with nitrous and then an awesome chassis/brake setup and alignment. At many action days at Combe ive seen his hustling the jap stuff and even getting past the Evo's, his corner speed was immense.

Fast circuit cars dont really need the big power engines, just well setup chassis's and modifications (including weight reduction) to give the performance.

Soldato
OP
Posted on behalf of my housemate: -

At the end of the day I would like more power. Jonny I tried to get hold of you via a PM on the hondacrx forum. Would you mind dropping your mobile number to me on [email protected]

Just need a quick chat about a few things as I trust your judgement. I.E. I know you aren't a armchair expert like some people on forums :)

Cheers,

Kevin

Soldato
Jonnycoupe said:
Fast circuit cars dont really need the big power engines, just well setup chassis's and modifications (including weight reduction) to give the performance.

Aint that the truth. You can save massive amounts of time having the car quick around the bends.

A car that can move around quickly and deal with total direction change quickly will leave a car with twice the power for dead in no time at all.

Seen it time and time again - big bhp pulls away on the straights - gets reeled in on the bends.

Lightweight is the key.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
How much would be involved running a low boost turbo on a b16 do you think?
Would it take long to put on and take off?

Just thinking of maybe throwing a low boost turbo on the CRX for trackdays and taking it back off for everyday driving. I pla on getting a track car soon enough but funds are tight :(

Permabanned
Mic said:
How much would be involved running a low boost turbo on a b16 do you think?
Would it take long to put on and take off?

Just thinking of maybe throwing a low boost turbo on the CRX for trackdays and taking it back off for everyday driving. I pla on getting a track car soon enough but funds are tight :(

Check Homemadeturbo - there's a classic write up of fitting a hairdrier in one night, whitey-bends and all.

But I wouldn't remove it for the road - just fit a bypass valve.

*n

Back
Top Bottom