Win 7 or Win 8??

Soldato
Or, just wander into a shop and try both. There are plenty of reasons to use either - only you, the person who actually has to use it day-in, day-out can make the call.

Personally I can't see enough reasons to upgrade for my usage and I don't really like Metro so i'm on Windows 7. But I appreciate that you might like Windows 8 so try both.

Soldato
daft question - I'm considering Windows 7, WHS2011 or Windows 8 for a new H54L Microserver

I upgraded my main (new) Ivybridge PC from Window 7 Retail to Windows 8 Pro

Before I bought the new Ivy system last year - my old Machine (Q6600) had Vista (OEM) on it, which I'd a few years back moved to Windows 7 retail on it (not an upgrade) - this is the licence (full retail) that was moved to new PC and deleted off old PC. I then reinstalled Vista on the old Q6600

therefore currently have Vista OEM on the old Q6600

Old PC will be sold shortly as no longer have a use for it- Operating System less with a blanked out HDD. Before I sell it - can I use that PC to upgrade the Vista OEM licence to Windows 8 Pro ?

some internet forums then imply that Windows 8 Pro licence has none of the previous restrictions therefore is possibly transferrable to any other PC that I own - therefore I could transfer that licence to the HP Microserver ?

IE: I couldn't move the OEM licence of Vista from the old PC to the HP Microserver, as its OEM, but if I upgrade that licence on the old PC to W8 Pro - is that licence transferrable ?

any ideas ? seems grey to me - want to be fully legit

Last edited:
Associate
I'm getting a new PC soon, might get Windows 7 on it though as I'm not sure how much of the software I use will be compatible with Windows 8.

Soldato
I'm getting a new PC soon, might get Windows 7 on it though as I'm not sure how much of the software I use will be compatible with Windows 8.

All my software from Win7 once I upgraded runs fine on my Win8 PC and that includes games from 1997 lol...

Anti-virus wise you will be fine since all the major AV companies have upgraded compatibility to Win8 and you also have the option to stick with Win8 default AV(Defender),drivers have also matured/improved ie been over 7 months now since Win8 has been released so should be good to go.

Soldato

I think you guys forget he is buying a new laptop so I make a simple guide for you.

Reset and Refresh options in Win8
Longer battery life on a laptop,
Free upgrade to 8.1/Blue.
Better security.
Better monitor support.
Improved task manager
Microsoft store ie plenty of free software in there if you bother to look.

I could go on so why would any sane person choose an old outdated OS like Win7 is beyond me and yes I've used both Win7 and 8 from day one,fact is Win7 does not offer anything over Win8 unless you count Aero,personally I only like my Aero from a sweet shop ,mint flavour :) .

I forgot DX11.1 ,good read here for gamers http://rog.asus.com/196522013/news/a-look-at-windows-8s-dx11-1-and-what-it-gives-us-gamers/ ,

GPU fault tolerance

Because DX11.1 reduces the need for GPUs to change rendering modes, it naturally cuts down the risk of hanging/freezing, as mentioned above. The new API version also includes GPU preemption, which helps with multitasking. You can see this sort of even in games like Far Cry 3, which support GPU buffering and multi-frame vsync, something we didn’t see much of in the past. From what I gather, this allows applications to “reserve” or predict GPU resource allocation, and is done closer to hardware level with DX11.1. With GPU preemption, the app queue is more expedient, and thus there are less “awkward pauses” as apps try to communicate with the GPU and the other way around. Pauses are never good in computing, as they are areas of vulnerability and thus prone to crashes. In other words, DX11.1-compatible GPUs are more “app aware” and savvy about talking to multiple programs at once. More efficient resource use, less waits, and less opportunities for things to go the way of the BSOD!

No brainer really Win8 IMHO(and this from a Linux fan ;) ).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom