My Cat has eye gunk - weird :/

Associate
Hi there,

I have two domestic short hair cats. One male and one female. The female cat always seems to have eye gunk every day. Which normally is fine, as its like what we humans have in the mornings. You know the dried up stuff in the corner of your eye, or its like erm stringy bogey type before it dries. Thats all ok i guess. But recently the female cat has got these brown stains in that corner of her eye. Its like she either rubbed the stuff into her fur, or like she’s had some powder in her eye and her tears are bringing this browns stuff out.. Does it seem like she has an eye infection?

Im pretty sure she hasn’t like breathed at a bag of cement as they are rescue cats and are afraid of everyone apart from my family. So when they go outside they only sit on the fence or hang around in our gardens right next to us for 20 mins tops (or until someone comes out). But none of the gardens have any powdered substance like cement bags in there.

So the next thing im thinking is the litter tray.... we use the Otto stuff from lidl. They seem to like it the best. They hate catsan or the weird stoney stuff and don’t seem to like the paper stuff. Sometimes from this litter stuff there is fine powder at the bottom which is also this weird browny grey.

She’s about 4.5 years old (human years) Umm i think thats all the info i can think of. What do you think? Does she need a trip to the vets or just monitoring?

Associate
My cat has occasional eye gunk, and she regular goes for checkups at the vets and the vet doesn't mention it. I think it is just part of being a cat, like we humans get sleep dust in our eye.

I wouldn't worry. Alternatively, pics...?

Associate
my cat gets this. Was a concern when she was a kitten but now there isn't really a problem. Better to be the safe though and give a quick ring round the vets

Soldato
My dog gets that occasionally, for him íts allergy stuff. If hes been in the hay or long grass he can get it, so it might just be the start of spring kicking off thats causing your cat to have a reaction.

Soldato
Sounds normal, cats suffer from eye 'gunk', some more than others.

Wouldn't worry about it, take her into the vet to be on the safe side though, may give you some eye drops etc to sort it if it is an infection.

Associate
OP
21022008008.jpg

Hi all here's a pic..

Associate
OP
oh ok thats cool, it was just weird, as its usually either dry or bogey type. this type is like smudged in.. im nervous taking her to the vets as last time it took me nearly 25 HARD minutes to get her into the travel box thing. i was covered in sweat lol. my cats are scared of everyone who aint my familly as they are rescue cats.

Ill just swing by and ask them with this photo lol.

Caporegime
Not a big deal at all. If your cat is placid and you're careful, you can get it out with your fingernail easily enough. Probably no need though, as the cat will clean it out itself sooner or later.

Soldato
one of the cats i had before started having brown rings around her eyes with a load of gunk.

it turned out to be an after effect of when she had cat flu as a kitten she had that small problem till the day she died.

very nice kitty btw :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom