• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770K to 4770K, Worth it ?

Associate
It depends whether the chance of 10% extra performance is worth it to you. I would suggest for most it probably wouldn't be worthwhile, but it may be good to keep an eye on the forums for a few weeks and see how it turns out.

Soldato
I'm getting the upgrade itch, Should I stick with my 3770K, Running at 4.60GHZ, Or get the 4770K when it comes out ?

For similar cost you could go with X79 and 4820K in a few months, better upgrade path, could go 6 core in the future... Quad channel memory and full PCI-E Bandwidth.. Haswell is all about igpu, no real desktop CPU improvement to warrant a move from 3770K, 4820K would come with other tangible benefits as mentioned though...

Caporegime
I was kinda tempted by haswell, but took a reality check. Gonna buy a 3770k. Haswell isnt very interesting tbh, bit like the latest nvidia gpu's. A rather poor refresh of the current stuff. Hence ive gone sli gtx 670. But, my 3570k is a bottleneck for those cards in sli. Even with the cards at stock and the cpu at 4.5ghz.

Caporegime
I'm a half-gen behind most of you guys and I didn't even consider switching to Haswell. I wont upgrade my CPU until Skylake at the earliest. :p

Get the most out of your CPU :D I went Pentium 4 > Core 2 Duo > i5 2500K :p

Caporegime
Yep, it was a wee experiment tbh. I had an i7 920 @4.2ghz, and an i7 [email protected]. One had to go. The 920 got sold, still have the 930. Basically i like to buy new cpu's. overclock em and then decide wether to keep them or not. Hence the 3570k will be sold soon. No use with sli gtx 670's. As useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Last edited:
Soldato
After seeing 4770K reviews I will reiterate what I said earlier..

'For similar cost you could go with X79 and 4820K in a few months, better upgrade path, could go 6 core in the future... Quad channel memory and full PCI-E Bandwidth.. Haswell is all about igpu, no real desktop CPU improvement to warrant a move from 3770K, 4820K would come with other tangible benefits as mentioned though...'

Soldato
After seeing 4770K reviews I will reiterate what I said earlier..

'For similar cost you could go with X79 and 4820K in a few months, better upgrade path, could go 6 core in the future... Quad channel memory and full PCI-E Bandwidth.. Haswell is all about igpu, no real desktop CPU improvement to warrant a move from 3770K, 4820K would come with other tangible benefits as mentioned though...'

This is what I might do.
Only reason I need to upgrade is for encoding performance, 1600p footage takes 50% longer to encode than it does to record.
Streaming @ all resolutions performance and what not could be higher.

So, I was thinking about 6 core, but figured Id wait and see how this lot of chips did. Looks like Ivy Bridge E is where I will head, depending on the % increase I can expect. New mobo, mobo block, cpu and cpu block, and tubing probably comes together to make it a hefty priuce tag if its only 10% performance or something.

Just have to get round to doing some more work to afford it lol.

Back
Top Bottom