Pioneer Space Sim - Free Indie Frontier: Elite 2 Remake

Associate
So I was looking around for any evidence of Elite 4 surfacing and ran across this little gem. Basically a remake of the classic Frontier: Elite 2. Still in alpha stages but there have been regular updates since May last year. I am excite!

Pioneer is a space adventure game set in the milkyway galaxy at the turn of the 31st century.

The game is open-ended, and you are free to explore the millions of star systems in the game. You can land on planets, slingshot past gas giants, and burn yourself to a crisp flying between binary star systems.

When Pioneer is finished there will be many ways to make ends meet: piracy, smuggling, bounty-hunting, mining, doing missions for the various factions fighting for power, freedom or self-determination.

Pioneer has a sneaking resemblance to Frontier: Elite 2.

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Soldato
I would love elite 4 to finally surface, but in these days of cruddy console ports and zero originality i dont see it happening :( Elite is my all time favourite game, but this type of game is a dying breed. Why would devs spend loads of money on creating a huge open world space sim with limited market appeal when they can knock out yet another generic cod clone that will get lapped up by millions. Sad days.

Associate
OP
Looks interesting, I played Frontier to death on the Amiga...

I was the same on the PC version, sank countless hours into it.

I'm now trying to track down all the music tracks from Frontier in ogg format. The ability to create your own playlist and event triggered music is built in :cool:

Soldato
It would be a dream come true to play a true modern day version of Elite 2. I loved that game so much. I played it religiously for as long as I had my Amiga in action.

Associate
Hi, guys! I'm Brian from the Pioneer dev team. I maintain the issue tracker, amongst other things.

Glad to see some of you have found us, and that you're finding the game fun. Pioneer is free software (you will always have the freedom to download it, mod it, break it, fix it, even put it in a box and sell it), so do feel free to grab yourself a copy.

We've recently made some big changes to the rendering system of Pioneer, and it's in need of some play-testing. If you guys want to help us out, please grab the most recent build (download links are on our twitter feed, http://twitter.com/pioneerspacesim ) and let us know if you see any glitches or problems with rendering. Those builds are more recent than the latest alpha; new ones are made each night.

If you do, please let me know. You can either let the dev team know on the main issue tracker, on this thread (I'll be watching) or by email to me ([email protected]). If you have problems, we'd be grateful if you also let is have a copy of the opengl.txt file that Pioneer creates in My Documents\Pioneer. That tells us what your graphics card's capabilities look like, and will help us out.

Any feedback is welcome, though! We like informed criticism. Do bear in mind that balancing and gameplay are utterly unfinished, but the physics engine is stable and very pretty.

Finally, for all you old Frontier fans, we're doing this because the surest way to get the game we want to play is to write it ourselves. We're trying to preserve Frontier's feel, but in a much more modern game. Frontier destroyed my degree studies, and I love it still.

Thanks all!

Associate
OP
Hi, guys! I'm Brian from the Pioneer dev team. I maintain the issue tracker, amongst other things.

Glad to see some of you have found us, and that you're finding the game fun. Pioneer is free software (you will always have the freedom to download it, mod it, break it, fix it, even put it in a box and sell it), so do feel free to grab yourself a copy.

We've recently made some big changes to the rendering system of Pioneer, and it's in need of some play-testing. If you guys want to help us out, please grab the most recent build (download links are on our twitter feed, http://twitter.com/pioneerspacesim ) and let us know if you see any glitches or problems with rendering. Those builds are more recent than the latest alpha; new ones are made each night.

If you do, please let me know. You can either let the dev team know on the main issue tracker, on this thread (I'll be watching) or by email to me ([email protected]). If you have problems, we'd be grateful if you also let is have a copy of the opengl.txt file that Pioneer creates in My Documents\Pioneer. That tells us what your graphics card's capabilities look like, and will help us out.

Any feedback is welcome, though! We like informed criticism. Do bear in mind that balancing and gameplay are utterly unfinished, but the physics engine is stable and very pretty.

Finally, for all you old Frontier fans, we're doing this because the surest way to get the game we want to play is to write it ourselves. We're trying to preserve Frontier's feel, but in a much more modern game. Frontier destroyed my degree studies, and I love it still.

Thanks all!

Nice one, thanks for the reply! What is the link for non-twitter people?

Associate
Erm, you'll need to rummage on SourceForge until you find it, I think.

You don't need a Twitter account to use that page on Twitter; our merge maintainer posts each nightly build there as he does it, and you can just click them to be taken to the right place, without logging in or whatever.

I'm a non-Twitter person, too!

Soldato
Erm, you'll need to rummage on SourceForge until you find it, I think.

You don't need a Twitter account to use that page on Twitter; our merge maintainer posts each nightly build there as he does it, and you can just click them to be taken to the right place, without logging in or whatever.

I'm a non-Twitter person, too!

Welcome to the forums Brianetta! I rerally hope you can complete this project

Associate
Welcome to the forums Brianetta! I rerally hope you can complete this project

I'm not alone in this, and it isn't a one man project. I'm not even the project lead. We have a number of dedicated, able, enthusiastic and fairly well motivated folk working on the project, and more seem to be finding their way to us every week. It's looking good!

Back
Top Bottom