• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel socket 2011 vs 1155

Associate
Is this still considered Sandy Bridge? Looking to upgrade in the next couple of months and with Anands preview it looks like SB 1155 will be approx 10-20% improved IPC compared to i7. A worthwile upgrade from my e6850!

I have no need for more than 4 cores but will socket 2011 just be more cores or will there be improvement in IPC also?

I ask as im mainly limited by CPU performance currently.

Thanks!

Soldato
Aye, its still Sandy Bridge - as it is the same micro-architecture just a different implementation (similar to how i3 and i7 were both nahalem but very different in many ways).

AFAIK s2011 will have even more cores (some will have up to 8 I believe, but clock-for-clock each core should be no faster than the top end s1155 cores) and no integrated graphics core. Also, the busses on s2011 won't be tied together (unlike s1155) so standard overclocking should be possible. The other features I have heard are x16x16 PCIe lanes and quad channel memory.

Associate
OP
Aye, its still Sandy Bridge - as it is the same micro-architecture just a different implementation (similar to how i3 and i7 were both nahalem but very different in many ways).

AFAIK s2011 will have even more cores (some will have up to 8 I believe, but clock-for-clock each core should be no faster than the top end s1155 cores) and no integrated graphics core. Also, the busses on s2011 won't be tied together (unlike s1155) so standard overclocking should be possible. The other features I have heard are x16x16 PCIe lanes and quad channel memory.

Thx. I have no use for SLI/Crossfire so x16x16 PCIe lanes prob wont be very useful to me. Quad channel memory i dont know much about.

If its anything like i5 750 vs i7 920 then the socket 1155 should be fine for me. I dont use heavily multithreaded software/encoding etc.

Back
Top Bottom