How to tax a car I just bought?

Permabanned
Going round in circles here with the DVLA telephone robot :mad:

I've just bought a car, its tax had run out so I'm trying to get it retaxed.

I have insurance (no policy doc yet, just rang them to transfer the insurance over), a valid MOT and the green slip which says

V5C/2
10. New keepers details
Doc ref no
Despatch codes
etc

I've never bought a car without tax before but it seems impossible to tax the sodding thing on the DVLA website or the phone. Is going to the post office the only way or am I doing something stupid here?

You wouldn't think trying to throw money at the Government would be such hard work :mad:

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thanks,
Now are they going to pull a face over my policy document being for my old car, or will they be able to check that I have transferred the policy over onto the new car?

Soldato
They will need to see a printed covering letter for the new car.

Worst comes to worst you could bang some temporary dayinsure cover on it for a little extra to get a covering letter and tax it with that (some POs can be a bit fickle about these but I've never had any issues).

Post office is the easiest way to do it :)

Permabanned
OP
They will need to see a printed cover letter for the new car.
Ah, I only rang the insurance this morning to transfer to cover over, so I don't have a actual bit of paper with the new cars name on, just the old one.

Edit
So I have to buy insurance from the PO even though I am already insured?

Permabanned
OP
You should be able to get the insurance cert emailed or off their server to print out?

Yes, progress,
I've just rang the insurance people and they are going to email a PDF of the cover note so I can print that off and give to the PO.

Looking good so far, thanks for the advice guys :)

Now, new thread, how to get an old laser printer working... :p

Back
Top Bottom