Changed network provider, second thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So a few days ago I made the decision to switch from 3 to EE purely for 4G, on a 12 month sim-only contact.

I will earn £35 cashback and have £35 in my TopCashBack account, so the extra cost of the contract is pretty much covered.

Anyway, having used EE for a day or so I'm not sure I've made the right choice.

1. With 3 I have a signal box, so I have 100% signal in the home
  2. With 3 I have 1-2 bars of 3G signal at home (without the signal box), on EE I get 1 bar or No Signal
  3. With 3 I got 3G at the office, but with EE (despite being in a 4G area) my phone almost always defaults to 3G unless standing by a window. (When by the window I get 1-2 bars of 4G).
  4. I was offered some good discounts on my 3 tariff before I left, which would reduce the overall contract cost, plus they aren't charging existing customers for 4G when it rolls out
I'm well within the 14 day cancellation period, but so far I'm not seeing any reason to stay with EE :confused:

I have to point out I used the coverage checker before buying and it stated that I would get solid 3G at home and 3-4 bars of 4G at work. Have I been trolled?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I have to point out I used the coverage checker before buying and it stated that I would get solid 3G at home and 3-4 bars of 4G at work. Have I been trolled?
Maybe you should have checked the EE coverage before signing on the dotted line?

:rolleyes: Maybe I should have gotten a sim from EE to check their service, but I've never had much luck getting a free sim off the net.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Question: Am I technically an EE customer or 3 customer?

I'm still waiting for my number to port networks, but once it's ported, will I lose the ability to call 3 and grovel without signing a new contract?

Associate
You're customers of both currently.

You've got an contract with EE which has already started and your deal with Three doesn't end until your PAC is done with.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Yes, bought the sim online. I rang EE quickly this morning.

There's 14 day cooling off so I know I can cancel.. that's not the issue. My issue is, once my PAC has completed then I become an EE customer, so in effect, if I call up 3 to "return", they will make me sign a new contract presumably.

I can't call 3 as I'm in work but I'd hope they could use common sense.

Soldato
Surely it's EE that is using the PAC, so it's EE you need to cancel the PAC transaction with?

Hoping won't get you anywhere... I would try to contact 3 as well and just see what they say, but my first port of call would be EE.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Surely it's EE that is using the PAC, so it's EE you need to cancel the PAC transaction with?

Hoping won't get you anywhere... I would try to contact 3 as well and just see what they say, but my first port of call would be EE.
They are saying that they cannot stop the PAC transaction now as it's been "locked". They did make a note of the call on my account, so at least they can acknowledge I've rung to cancel. I will call 3 when I get home and also ask them to log my cancellation.

In effect I have to wait until the transaction is complete and re-migrate back to 3 :(

Soldato
Even with their customer services, I think i'll be with 3 for quite a while yet

No premium cost for their 4G, and actually rather good signal compared to other networks.

Soldato
I got sick of the lies and inconsistent bills from three, and was happy to leave. (Even had bizarre crossed calls a few times, which I have never had with any other carrier). Unfortunately Orange who used to be awesome in late 90's early 2000's turned out to be really awful :(

I hope you get it sorted EVH :) Good luck!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Neither EE nor 3 can do anything.

In effect I have to wait until the PAC transaction completes and request a new PAC from EE. I then have to sign up with 3 as a new customer :o

£63 cashback to sign up on the one plan (£15 PCM) on 3 though, so not so bad.

Soldato
Yeah EE is **** compared to Three. I have a friend who's on EE and it's next to useless about 30% of the time we are together, he's always struggling with time-outs and disconnects.

Soldato
T-Mobile (EE) has gone downhill rapidly in the last few months. Since I got my S4 basically! It's just horrendous, always losing signal and constantly switching between the two networks draining battery. I switched back to my S2 to see if it was the phone but it wasn't - it's so much worse than it used to be.

They now limit all unlimited data plans to 4mb, even if you've had the cap removed previously. Very annoyed at it to be honest and not looking forward to the next 20 months :(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Just did a quick speediest and signal comparison, at home.

Both networks had the same number of "signal bars" outside, in the living room and in the bedroom. Scientific stuff :D

These speedtests were taken outside where I had 3 bars of signal strength. As pointed out earlier, I can get 4G at work but only when I'm outside, or near the window in my office, so although I get slightly better 3G strength at work it's really not worth the extra £11 a month.

596919485.png

EE
596917827.png

Associate
You should count yourself lucky you didnt go to Vodafone - now THAT is a network with shockingly bad reception. I Cant wait until my 12 months contract is up so I can move to either EE or 3. (or even o2, they are all better than Vodafone)

Back
Top Bottom