Nvidia 3D Vision hack for 120HZ Active 3D Monitors

Caporegime
Here's a guide for using the 3D Vision hack with Nvidia GPU's on 120HZ Active monitors.

I've copied some bits from two guides, but most of it is written, fresh links provided etc.

Should be clear and concise compared to what I'd read.

I've copied and pasted bits from another guide in two parts as it's better than typing bits, but it'll work.

1.) Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers.

2.) You need to disable Windows from fetching drivers from windows update else it will download drivers you don't want and won't work (System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > Never install driver software from Windows Update)

3.) Download http://kostasoft.com/downloads/3Dvision.zip and install DSF-KitSetup make the .bat of init_x64 a .txt (Or open in notepad) and remove this line /i /s from it, do remember to make it a .bat afterwards.

4.) Run the init_x64.bat file

5.) run the enablestereo.bat ; You'll notice it tries to install a driver and fails so you then download nvidia drivers version 285.62, extract them to desktop and cancel the installation.

6.) Go into device manager and find NVIDIA steroscopic 3d usb controller, right click and update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Have Disk... > Browse to "C:\nvidia\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\E nglish\NV3DVisionUSB.Driver" (alter as appropiate if you selected to extract the driver files somewhere else). Let it install those drivers which it should do successfully.

7.) Download this inf http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/download/file.php?id=122 and install it in a similar fashion to the Nvidia 3D Vision USB Driver

8.) Restart your PC

9.) Run enablestereo.bat

10.) Go into Nvidia Control panel, you should see your monitor is 3D Vision enabled, to see the 3D effects you'll need to run your monitor in "Frame Sequential"

That's how I did it.

EDIT : There may be some issues when you're running 6XX GPU's while you're running the emulator so your results may vary, using my GTX680 with the above guide, I encountered an issue where Firefox would hang slightly when opening a fresh window (Not tab) and changing resolution in Rome Total War (But changing in Hard Reset and Mass Effect 3 didn't seem to have any issue)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
How is the performance though?

In the limited time I used in the performance in 3D was fine.
The emulator is a little annoying, while I never had any crashes, while it was running firefox hung a little upon opening, but there's not much reason to have the emulator running while browsing anyway.

The performance drop with 3D Vision certainly seems to be less than that of the 3D With Tridef and my 7970, but I find Tridef to handle 2D objects quite a lot better.

Soldato
Nice write up Martini :) Plain and simple to understand, should be easy enough for anyone to follow.

The only thing I would add is that if you have a 6xx series card from Nvidia, ie any kepler card, then this isn't worth doing because it just doesn't work right at all. It's very buggy. But it does seem to work well for previous generation Nvidia cards.

Caporegime
OP
Nice write up Martini :) Plain and simple to understand, should be easy enough for anyone to follow.

The only thing I would add is that if you have a 6xx series card from Nvidia, ie any kepler card, then this isn't worth doing because it just doesn't work right at all. It's very buggy. But it does seem to work well for previous generation Nvidia cards.

The actual 3D I didn't find buggy.
Some other stuff was buggy though, like Firefox hanging slightly and changing resolution on Rome took a while, didn't have any crashes though, even Mass Effect 3 worked. Hard Reset etc.

Might be something to do with the EDID used?

Caporegime
OP
Can't get this to work using the latest Nvidia Drivers. 3D Vision setup won't detect the spoofed emitter.

Restarted PC and you're using the other inf?

I've been able to do a few times without fail now.

How do i install monitor inf file? Please help

Device manager, manually install it.

EDIT : With over 600 views and so little comments, I'm going to assume a fair amount of people have been able to get it to work following :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
will this work with the Benq XL2420T monitor?

Hi majnu,

The purpose of the hack is to let owners of Nvidia cards play in 3D (using 3D Vision rather than Tridef etc.) on a non-3D Vision ready 120Hz monitor e.g. the Samsung SA Series. As the XL2420T supports 3D Vision out of the box the hack isn't required.

The hack can't be used with AMD cards unfortunately, which I'm guessing is what you were wondering?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom