• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Add another Asus 660 Ti, or swap for a 770?

Associate
Hi folks, need some advice - considering options for a GPU upgrade later in the year/early next year, and I'm torn. Current specs:

CPU - i5-3570K with stock cooler
GPU - Asus GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II
RAM - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Mobo - MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming Edition
2 TB HDD
Asus 24" LED HD monitor

Now, I'm considering two options right now. First is to add another identical graphics card to run them in SLI - my other option is to sell my current one, to part fund an upgrade to a single GTX 770. I've been looking for comparisons or identical benchmark tests etc with no luck, what do you guys recommend?

Associate
Hi folks, need some advice - considering options for a GPU upgrade later in the year/early next year, and I'm torn. Current specs:

CPU - i5-3570K with stock cooler
GPU - Asus GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II
RAM - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Mobo - MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming Edition
2 TB HDD
Asus 24" LED HD monitor

Now, I'm considering two options right now. First is to add another identical graphics card to run them in SLI - my other option is to sell my current one, to part fund an upgrade to a single GTX 770. I've been looking for comparisons or identical benchmark tests etc with no luck, what do you guys recommend?

Heres a review on 2 and 3 way sli. Buy another 660ti if your using a single monitor and less than 4k res.

Be warned that due to the limited bandwidth and 2gb vram you wont be able to run multiscreen high res games with full msa and highest settings in games like BF3, Crysis 3 BF4 and Rome 2 etc... (Brother had 3 in sli and would crash out in bf3 when ultra was applied in surround (3 screens). Which games do you play?

If you use 1 monitor at 1920x1200 you will fine imo..

Look at how msa and higher resolution kills performance in terms of FPS..........

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry for hijacking the thread but i'm in a similar position really.

Currently running this board
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-514-AS&tool=3
Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77

And I have this card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 WindForce 2X 2048MB
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-109-GI

Firstly I havent been into PC gaming for prob over 10 years and bought this card to get back into it. I have 1 1080p monitor (24") and I was expecting to max out all the games in that res but some games struggle.

I take it this board will allow SLI? and if so am I best buying another 660 or moving to a new 1 card setup.?

thanks

Soldato
Sorry for hijacking the thread but i'm in a similar position really.

Currently running this board
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-514-AS&tool=3
Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77

And I have this card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 WindForce 2X 2048MB
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-109-GI

Firstly I havent been into PC gaming for prob over 10 years and bought this card to get back into it. I have 1 1080p monitor (24") and I was expecting to max out all the games in that res but some games struggle.

I take it this board will allow SLI? and if so am I best buying another 660 or moving to a new 1 card setup.?

thanks

According to the product description, that DOES NOT support Sli only crossfire

Soldato
There is HyperSli for boards without official support for SLI. Have a friend who had an older AMD board for his 995BE. He ran 2x560 ti with HyperSLI and it worked just fine. Worth looking into atleast.

Associate
OP
Heres a review on 2 and 3 way sli. Buy another 660ti if your using a single monitor and less than 4k res.

Be warned that due to the limited bandwidth and 2gb vram you wont be able to run multiscreen high res games with full msa and highest settings in games like BF3, Crysis 3 BF4 and Rome 2 etc... (Brother had 3 in sli and would crash out in bf3 when ultra was applied in surround (3 screens). Which games do you play?

If you use 1 monitor at 1920x1200 you will fine imo..

Look at how msa and higher resolution kills performance in terms of FPS..........

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-660-ti-sli.html

Thanks for that, helpful article! Dual 660 Ti is looking better now then - I am indeed using a single, 1080p monitor, I don't plan on upgrading to 1600p or anything for a good while yet... From other benchmarks I've found, Crysis 3 for example, SLI seems about equal to 770 single, equal or better. In that regard, might I be better off going the slightly cheaper route of a new 770 now after selling my 660 Ti, so I can upgrade with ANOTHER 770 further down the line once I get promoted? :p

Associate
Thanks for that, helpful article! Dual 660 Ti is looking better now then - I am indeed using a single, 1080p monitor, I don't plan on upgrading to 1600p or anything for a good while yet... From other benchmarks I've found, Crysis 3 for example, SLI seems about equal to 770 single, equal or better. In that regard, might I be better off going the slightly cheaper route of a new 770 now after selling my 660 Ti, so I can upgrade with ANOTHER 770 further down the line once I get promoted? :p

If your gonna replace your current 660ti, then a 4Gb GTx770 is a good move. 2x660ti's overclocked should be as quick as a Titan at your resolution in BF3. (its impoortant you buy a product that performs good in the games you play)

660tix2 sli 1080p AA,4xmsa 97min fps, max 121 fps

(1020/6008), you might get better than 1020 gpu core...

1xTitan 1080p 98 min fps 119 max fps

£360 of 660ti's beats a £800-£900 Titan oh my god!!!

Get an additional 660ti if your only 1080p on a single monitor.......

Permabanned
If your gonna replace your current 660ti, then a 4Gb GTx770 is a god move. 2x660ti's overclocked should be as quick as a Titan at your resolution in BF3. (its impoortant you buy a product that performs good in the games you play)

660tix2 sli 1080p AA,4xmsa 97min fps, max 121 fps

(1020/6008), you might get better than 1020 gpu core...

1xTitan 1080p 98 min fps 119 max fps

£360 of 660ti's beats a £800-£900 Titan oh my god!!!

A GTX 770 4gb would be a waste of money on a single screen 1080p. If you really want a 770 that bad then yes get one, but you don't need a 4gb model on 1 1080p monitor.

Associate
So whats gonna happen when next gen games comes out!!! BF3 is already hitting 1.8gb on a single monitor in ultra at 1080p in MP. Skyrim is up to 3gb with mods. BF4 is at 2.1gb with a single monitor at 1080p without textures. (Alpha admittedly)

Why would I recommend a new 2gb card........when 4gb would serve him for longer and offer better upgrade options in future. Sli'd 4gb gtx770's will run high res textures for multiscreen use........

I wouldn't want to buy 2Gb at this stage, this im 100% sure of...

Soldato
A GTX 770 4gb would be a waste of money on a single screen 1080p. If you really want a 770 that bad then yes get one, but you don't need a 4gb model on 1 1080p monitor.

A 2gb 770 at 1080p would more than suffice.

^^^
These

4gb only becomes viable on multi gpu and surround set ups (Skyrim seems to be the exception)

source - personal experience

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think a 770 would be much of an upgrade over a 660ti.

I don't think sli 660ti is a good idea either personally I would hold what you got until something better comes out or the 780 drops to a reasonable price.

For now just stick some custom bios on your 660ti and clock the crap out of it, My friend has same card as you and can hit 10300 on 3dmark11.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't particularly plan on going multi monitor tbh, so 4GB, doesn't seem worth the extra in that regard. I guess half of my dilemma is trying to predict which will be better when I get around to the upgrade - which will be around the time of, or a couple months after, the launch of next gen consoles and the games that come with them. Stuff like AC4, Watch_Dogs, that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure I'm wanting to upgrade to either or at the time, it's just figuring out the best route. I have a 1080 LED monitor at 60hz, I'm perfectly happy with it, no enormous desire to go higher than 60fps or upgrade my monitor to allow for it. Thoughts?

Soldato
I don't particularly plan on going multi monitor tbh, so 4GB, doesn't seem worth the extra in that regard. I guess half of my dilemma is trying to predict which will be better when I get around to the upgrade - which will be around the time of, or a couple months after, the launch of next gen consoles and the games that come with them. Stuff like AC4, Watch_Dogs, that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure I'm wanting to upgrade to either or at the time, it's just figuring out the best route. I have a 1080 LED monitor at 60hz, I'm perfectly happy with it, no enormous desire to go higher than 60fps or upgrade my monitor to allow for it. Thoughts?

I would ask again after the consoles have been released.

People are saying that with new games like bf4 there might be a need for more than 2gb vram and with consoles having 8gb it's definitely a possibility that games next year will want more than 2gb.

AMD are releasing 9970 and 9950 later this year so I would see what they bring and see if nvidia drops there price on the 780.

Permabanned
I would ask again after the consoles have been released.

People are saying that with new games like bf4 there might be a need for more than 2gb vram and with consoles having 8gb it's definitely a possibility that games next year will want more than 2gb.

Are you saying new consoles will have 8gb of vram? I hope you meant 8gb of ram.

Back
Top Bottom