Re-applying for my Shotgun licence..

Soldato
marmalizer said:
As previously being a Firearms Licensing Clerk, I wouldn't worry about speeding convictions they have no relevance to you owning a shotgun but still declare them anyway. If it was drink driving you might have to wait longer for your renewal/grant as they have to make enquiries to make sure your not a habitual drunk.

You dont need a reason to own a shotgun, it is only firearms (rifles) that you need a valid reason i.e Target. But if you apply make sure you have a good countersignature such as an accountant or postmaster. They will not accept Managers, Managing Directors or Company Secretary anymore.

Another biggy is if you declare Depression, it can take forever to get a letter from your GP or Psychiatrist and then even after a suitable reply from your GP it has to go to Supervision for a write-up.

How refreshing to have someone who appears to know what they're talking about.

Welcome btw ;)

Associate
ste_bla said:
You dont need a reason to get a firearms cert with just shotguns on it. Unless the law has changed in the last year??

Firearms cert is different to a shotgun cert, you have a right to a shotgun cert but must have a reason(s) for a FAC as marmalizer said.

FAC is for rifles, 4+ shot shotguns and pistols etc, yes you can still own a pistol if you have lawful reason.

SGC is for all smoothbore weapons with a capacity of 3 or less rounds including canons if I remember correctly. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
AmaTeX said:
Firearms cert is different to a shotgun cert, you have a right to a shotgun cert but must have a reason(s) for a FAC as marmalizer said.

FAC is for rifles, 4+ shot shotguns and pistols etc, yes you can still own a pistol if you have lawful reason.

SGC is for all smoothbore weapons with a capacity of 3 or less rounds including canons if I remember correctly. :p

Hmm well i have a question for you.. currently have some weapons in NZ with my parents which were on a license over here (and i still have the spaces) I was thinking of bringing them back over here seeing i'm here midterm now so, are pump actions legal as I've swapped a .22 for one?

Soldato
AmaTeX said:
Best speak to your FEO as he or she will know for sure. :)

Thats what Im doing next week he's coming around on tuesday to have a quick look at my new cabinet (old one in Z), although saying that the guy at bedford just had a long chat nothing to do with weapons and didnt bother checking for the cabinet!

Associate
what cabinet did you get and any chance of a linky?

just moved house and need to look at getting a new safe, the old one aint moving any time soon >_<

Associate
I have a brattonsound RD7+ its deep enough for scoped rifle for when i get an FAC plenty of room for the shotguns. When the guy came round he was more interested in looking at my pheasant pens than at the safe/guns. :p

Man of Honour
Vaguely relevant query. I've been thinking of taking up shooting as a hobby. I have no convictions nor mental health problems. What other stumbling blocks might there be to my application being successful?

Would one of these certificates be necessary if I were to just seek to join a club and use one of their guns on the premises rather than own a gun? Would a club require a certificate as a qualification for membership?

Thanks. :)

Soldato
Cascadia said:
what cabinet did you get and any chance of a linky?

just moved house and need to look at getting a new safe, the old one aint moving any time soon >_<

I got a JFC cabinet for 6 rifles and an old ammo box i had the cabinet cost £160 from a local place and is has a guaranteed police acceptance.

Deadly Ferret said:
Vaguely relevant query. I've been thinking of taking up shooting as a hobby. I have no convictions nor mental health problems. What other stumbling blocks might there be to my application being successful?

Would one of these certificates be necessary if I were to just seek to join a club and use one of their guns on the premises rather than own a gun? Would a club require a certificate as a qualification for membership?

Thanks. :)

The way it seems to run in my limited experience..

Shotguns - As long as your not a nutter or a convict you can have a license and you dont have to have a reason or even anywhere to use it, however without a reason dont expect a large amount of ammo allowance.

Rifles - I've only used .22 upto now and before your allowed a license you have to join a rifle club and regularly go for 6 months before they entertain you having a license. You can use club rifles so thats how you get the practice and some people down my club ha vent bothered getting a license and use club rifles long term.

With both you normally have a police officer come round inspect your cabinets and just have a general chat.

Associate
If you are going to get into it you would be better off with your own gun that fits you. The best thing for you is to go hand have a few lesions at a club to see if you want to spend on a gun, safe and licence. You don’t need a licence to shoot but you do need one to buy, own or borrow a shotgun.

If you want to start shooting you will need to apply for your licence, get a gun cabinet that complies with home office guidance and then go get a gun. Shotguns range from £100 to £100,000+ a reasonable shotgun can be had for £300-500 for your needs. Cartridges range from £75-150 per 1000. I presume that the met is your local police force, there website here has all the info you need on the law and applying for your licence. You may also wish to join BASC or the CA to take advantage of there insurance included in the membership.

Man of Honour
Thanks Ste, much appreciated.

If I were one day to own a sporting rifle of some kind, what restrictions would I face on moving it around? For example, would I be right in thinking it couldn't be taken on public transport or long walks in case I was mugged? Presumably putting it into the boot of a car and then driving to a club would be okay though?

Are there any wilderness places where it is permissible to go shooting, and how involved are the precautions that have to be taken? If there are such places, is it okay to set up some targets on trees rather than just shoot some birds?

/Thanks also to Amatex. :)

Associate
You need permission from the landowner to shoot on their land otherwise you break the law and are eligible for SO19 to turn up, armed trespass is not taken lightly.

(f) Transporting Guns
When guns and ammunition are transported, consideration should be given to the security of both during the journey. Where guns and ammunition are transported on a regular basis the installation of a lockable container securely bolted to the structure of the vehicle so as to prevent easy removal by unauthorised persons is strongly recommended. If the vehicle is to be left unattended it will normally be sufficient to remove the bolt, trigger and/or fore-end of the gun and for the remainder of the gun and ammunition to be concealed from view in the locked vehicle. If the vehicle is to be left unattended for prolonged periods, the guns and/or ammunition should be moved from the vehicle to a more secure location. Guns and/or ammunition should not be visible during transportation. If, exceptionally, guns are to be carried on public transport they should be kept covered in a suitable case and remain with the holder at all times.

From thames valley police website. I would use a secure metal case rather than a soft gun slip on the buses etc. o and i would keep a copy of my licence on me.

Last edited:
Associate
ste_bla said:
Shotguns - As long as your not a nutter or a convict you can have a license and you dont have to have a reason or even anywhere to use it, however without a reason dont expect a large amount of ammo allowance.

With Shotguns there isnt a limit set on how much ammo you can buy hell there isnt even a requirement by law to have it stored in a seperate container, you could keep the cartridges on your windowsill if you wanted.

But with Firearms you tend to get a greater allowance if you do Target shooting at a range, as these guys tend to buy a batch of 1000+ as they tend to use more for zeroing in on ranges.

Some people can can even get Gatling guns on their Firearms Licenses as long it is for demonstration purposes or fires one round per rotation. But I know of only one person in the NorthWest with one.

Associate
AmaTeX said:
From thames valley police website. I would use a secure metal case rather than a soft gun slip on the buses etc. o and i would keep a copy of my licence on me.

so am i to assume that its acceptable to carry rifles on public transport? just for the next 2-3 months while im without a car to go shooting it would either be taxi or buss.

so you recon a licence and a metal case would cover it? any other things i would need?

know of any good metal case dealers? dont want to carry round a bolted safe lol

Associate
The best way to get an open license is to have nothing bigger than a .22, had permission of a couple of land owners for pest control for the past 2 years on their land due to infestation, helps if the land has crops on for when the FEO does his checks or you are starting up a pest control business.

Soldato
singist said:
How refreshing to have someone who appears to know what they're talking about.

We're not all idiots on here you know. Some of us really *do* shoot and have been doing so for a long time. Some of us even instruct :)

I also know what I'm talking about, because I actually do have a co-terminous Shotgun Certificate and an open FAC. I'm also pretty au fait with the current legal situation, because I have to be (for various reasons which I won't go into). I also try and give advice to the best of my ability.

Thanks for tarring everyone with the same brush.

AmaTeX said:
Hey marmalizer what makes for best chances of an open ticked? Pest control?

Forget getting an open condition on your first FAC application. Don't even bother thinking about it. The general consensus is that it will take at least 2 years for you to obtain one. They don't like giving open tickets to inexperienced shooters (for obvious reasons). It's even better if you do it on renewal, because you'll have been shooting for at least 5 years and they'll know that. Sorry I can't tell what your level of experience is or whether you already have a FAC, as it's not apparent from your post. Also the best advice may not be the same in your own constabulary. Have a chat with BASC if you're a member. Their firearms dept. are pretty clued up.

marmalizer, I don't know what force you worked for, but setting up a pest control business would be scrutinized very carefully in North Wales :D

Also for people initially applying, bear in mind that all advice varies from force to force (even though they're all supposed to use the same home office guidelines), and always remember that despite what the licencing dept. tell you, the final decision on issue is always down to the FEO (or FLO depending on where you are) i.e. the guy(s) who visit you. If they "don't like the look of you" or feel that something is not right then a licence will not be granted.

(oh and for whoever was asking about the cabinet, get a Brattonsound. Infac are also quite good :))

Soldato
taliesyn said:
We're not all idiots on here you know. Some of us really *do* shoot and have been doing so for a long time. Some of us even instruct :)

I also know what I'm talking about, because I actually do have a co-terminous Shotgun Certificate and an open FAC. I'm also pretty au fait with the current legal situation, because I have to be (for various reasons which I won't go into). I also try and give advice to the best of my ability.

Thanks for tarring everyone with the same brush.

***snip****
:))

My, we are touchy;

I'm sure that you are as knowledgable as you say. My original statement was aimed at all the wannabe people who chip in with something that they heard from a friend of a friend etc yet quote info as though they are the definative source on the subject.

I'm sorry that you should feel tarred; as I said, it wasn't aimed (geddit) at you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom