Dartford swimming pool, anyone remember?

Associate
I remember Fantaseas! Visited that place a few times in the early 90's. Always wondered what happened to it. Never heard the razor blade urban myth, was a rumour going round that they didn't pay their water rates though! :D

Don
Aberdeen used to have a waterslides place down at the beach as well that was dogged with rumours about it getting closed because of razor blades.

Edit: In fact it seems to still be there.

Soldato
That Razor Blade urban myth did the rounds for Swindon Oasis as well. Presumably there was an actual occurrence some place once which caused this urban myth to spring up in an age before internets and mobile phones.

Permabanned
not enough public pools in the uk. There should be at least 1 public pool per town and 1 water park per city. London should have a few water parks.

If i won the euro millions i would make a water park. But i was have a strict entrance policy and pool bars. With only one rule, no weeing in the pool.

entrance polilcy, no kids, no ugly people, no old people, no back hair, hot girls go free.

Soldato
This place was awesome... I was once at a function where someone pointed out a person who was apparently responsible for the planning and research that wasn't done properly. The issue was something to do with the foundations not being deep enough so the whole site started sinking, hence the closure? Memory is somewhat hazy but I doubt the guy was well regarded after that faux pas.

Soldato
The subsidence was not a huge issue and could have been fixed fairly easily. The trouble was the company behind Fantasea had huge debts of over 6 million from other leisure sites they owned so simply could not afford to pay for the repairs.

The parks were temporally closed down at first and left empty guarded by security until the company could raise the funds to repair the foundations.

In this time the company went into receivership. They tried to sell Fantasea but a buyer could not be found and it was permantely shut down and demolished.

The Dartford site actually made a good profit for the company but the mounting debts from other ventures ultimately caused the company to go under.

Soldato
The Dartford site actually made a good profit for the company but the mounting debts from other ventures ultimately caused the company to go under.

Shame really because I have so many good memories of that place. It was miles ahead of anything else that's around at the moment in the area. I normally go to White Oaks for swimming and weekend leisure but it's not in the same league.

Caporegime
OP
Sounds interesting, but its nowhere near as good as Action Park!

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time.[15] One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored, and reported in Weird NJ, that some of the test dummies sent down before it was opened had been dismembered.[1

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom