• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Associate
I do wonder if the ES chips Intel sent out had the same issues because none of the review sites have mentioned their chips failing. So far all the threads I have seen have been reporting i5 2500k fails. This may just be because more 2500k's have been sold than 2600k's

It's far too early to say, but could there be a fault in this batch of chips?

Soldato
I do wonder if the ES chips Intel sent out had the same issues because none of the review sites have mentioned their chips failing. So far all the threads I have seen have been reporting i5 2500k fails. This may just be because more 2500k's have been sold than 2600k's

Wise observations. We shall just have to wait and see. If intel some how managed to send out a dodgy batch on release this will really put a blow in their stride.

Soldato

I think there is always uncertainty with newer technology. That's why I tend to wait a bit for the technology to mature before making decision to upgrade/buy. It's like buying a brand new pc game only to find it containing bugs and then waiting for the patch to solve the problem.

Soldato
well in the world of complex micro-circuitry there will always be the occasional dodgy batch, look at the xbox 360, some of them (mine included) are rock solid, no problems and some of them fail after a couple of weeks. though the amount of time, effort and money these companies spend on quality control its amazing that any fail so prematurely. at least last time i looked CPU failure is virtually unheard of, tends to be things like RAM, GPU (even then usually because of insane levels of heat..!) that die early...been abusing my Q6600 for ages and it still very much alive and kicking.!

Soldato
I remember wolfdale chips being pushed too far by some people on release. Some people carried on as if they were like the indestructible 65nm conroe chips.

In fact the second hand market was full of these "degraded" chips.

Soldato
I remember wolfdale chips being pushed too far by some people on release. Some people carried on as if they were like the indestructible 65nm conroe chips.

in all fairness, conroe chips were nigh on indestructable...can't say i have heard of any failures personally! with die shrinks though, you always get increases sensitivity to voltage, thats just always gonna happen and overclocking as always should be done at your own risk and with great care..! (unless you have conroe chip, then just go for it!)

Associate

In fact the second hand market was full of these "degraded" chips.

I remember that very well.
I was very very cautious when overclocking mine. I got mine to 4.1 and it's still going strong after nearly 3 years.

Associate
I read somewhere that these chips like 1.5v memory and they shouldn't really be taken over 1.6v. Can't remeber where I saw this but it was one of the reviews posted on here. With the other guy saying intel chip diagnostic said his imc had gone it made me think.
I bet people are still using their old ram which is usually 1.65v (for 1156/1366) and this might be causing imc damage. This is just a thought and I'm in no way saying this is what has caused it, just trying to think of a theory why.:)

""Memory Voltage:As with LGA1366 and LGA1156 CPUs, keep this value to within 0.5V of the VCCIO voltage to prevent long term damage to the CPU. By default, this is 1.1V, which means the 1.65V used by previous Intel DDR3 memory is still acceptable. However, more recent memory will be rated at 1.5V (or even 1.35V if you choose a low-voltage kit). Increasing the VCCIO voltage obviously gives you more overhead on your memory voltage (remember, add +0.5V at most or risk damaging your CPU).""

taken from:http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/2

So by what that says 1.65v is slightly over by 0.05v, probably not enough to damage it though.

Last edited:
Associate
too bad new as what i see there is no core problem there is only memory controller problem they are to weak and dying very often

sandy bridge. oc last for 3 days maxs if u are lucky just a week :D

i ll advise all of you return this chips and wait for next wave

Don
was running a Vcore within the spec, well within the spec at 4.8ghz
What do you mean within spec? What value of Vcore were you using at 4.8GHz?

Intel haven't given a safe limit yet as presumably it's not known yet.

Also, from what Simon has posted it's quite worrying that about Asus BIOSes.

Also the datasheet gives the following DDR3 supply voltage limits:-

VDDQ
Processor I/O supply voltage for
DDR3 min 1.425 typ 1.5 max 1.575 V

Soldato
So far only thing in common I can see with people having problems with Sandy Bridge cpus is they are all using memory rated at 1.6-1.7v ... is it a coincidence ? or does it explain why there will be some 1.35v memory soon on the market ?... So far researching the internet and people having IMC errors with Sandy Bridge all tried to overclock and all had 1.6-1.7v memory installed... Well time will tell what is killing all these chips... So if you really need to buy Sandy Bridge and overclock I would be looking at the lowest voltage memory you can find to be on the safe side.. and so far lowest voltage memory I can find on sale is rated at 1.5v - 1.6v....

Exceleram Intros Pair of Low-Voltage Mainstream DDR3 Dual-Channel Memory Kits 1.35v

http://www.techpowerup.com/133513/E...Mainstream-DDR3-Dual-Channel-Memory-Kits.html

GeIL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel 1.5v - 1.6v

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-105-GL&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

GeIL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz VALUE PLUS Dual Channel 1.5v - 1.6v

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-104-GL&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

Permabanned
well patriots new sandy bridge kits actually use 1.5v, 1.6v, 1.65v so i dont see why they would use 1.65v.maybe thats thier 2300mhz stuff .i dont know but im sure as hell not buying SB until i know whats causing these deaths.

Back
Top Bottom