Poll: Alton Towers or Thorpe Park

Alton Towers or Thorpe Park?

• Total voters
Associate
Hello all,

Planning a cheap day out at the end of the week and was wondering which of these two theme parks would be best. It would be me and the mrs, we've both been to a fair few theme parks but neither of these two recently.

What are the pros and cons of each? If you had to choose which would you go for and why?

Ta
Mike

Soldato
Alton Towers is bigger and more spread out. Rides are about on par with each other (Although AT has more crap little rides). IMO you can have a better day out at Alton Towers but it depends on how far it is away from you

Caporegime
Alton Towers has more atmosphere and looks nicer (old house, gardens and more spread out) whilst Thorpe Park is usually slightly quieter but is situated in a disused cement factory (or something like that) so isn't as attractive.

I'd go to whichever is closer, unless you've been to one quite recently, then go for the other.

Soldato
Having been to Thorpe Park today, I would say they're not really up to their usual standards at the moment (I say this as a reasonably regular visitor there) - rides kept breaking down whilst I was in the queue, there're very few staff members watching queues (so queue jumping is fairly rife), and they have a bit of a wasp problem (not to say there aren't usually wasps - that'd be naive, but they seemed to be out in force today, despite it not being very warm). On the plus side, upon complaining of this we got fast track tickets. I'd give Thorpe Park a miss this season, though - which is a shame as usually I find it to be a good day out. I'm not sure if they've had budget cuts recently or what.

Soldato
I found the theming at Alton to be better but its a bit of a trek from the South East Thorpe Park is fun too but its a bit more "plonk any old ride any old where".

We only ever go when all the kids are back at school though. The parks aren't open for as long but you dont need thme to be. We went to Thorpe a year or so ago and queued for just 20 minutes to get on Stealth as one example, we went on Colossus 5 times (dont ask why as I have no idea) etc etc. We're planning on going again around the 10th of September as most of the schools have gone back by then, last time it was just like an 18-25 day out for the entire park lol.

Caporegime
I'm hoping to get a day at Thorpe park soon too, uni is going to be 15 minutes from the park so there is no reason not too. Best days are those that are before/after school trip time or holidays and days that were forecast to be wet but turn out to be sunny. We had the park almost to ourselves a few years back when both those came true, boiling hot and empty. Tidal wave was fun on that day!:D

Man of Honour
As an economist working in the theme park and leisure industry I track all of the parks and of course visit them. Alton is way ahead of TP as it has had higher investment for a much more sustained period. TP is catching up but Alton is the better park for the moment. It is also a much bigger site which makes for quite a different feel and a bit more variety in atmosphere and theming. Unless Thorpe is on your doostep I would go to Alton. Don't expect a cheap day out!

Associate
OP
Hello all,

Thanks for the replies! (And thanks to the mod for turning the thread into a poll!)

As I'm not sure i want to drive, I was thinking of taking the coach up in the morning which only goes on a Wednesday. What are peoples thoughts on how busy it will be tomorrow? I think all the schools have gone back so perhaps I could be onto a winner?

Soldato
I would simply go to the one which is closest to you...

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies! (And thanks to the mod for turning the thread into a poll!)

As I'm not sure i want to drive, I was thinking of taking the coach up in the morning which only goes on a Wednesday. What are peoples thoughts on how busy it will be tomorrow? I think all the schools have gone back so perhaps I could be onto a winner?
Well the first day back around here is the 7th. I've been to thorpe park while people are at school and without. There's a different but i couldn't say its quiet :p Only been to AT once and it was so busy

Considering TP is 50minutes drive away max while AT is more like 3 hours, its a no brainer for me :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hello all,

Schools are not back yet!

Most will have training days for the first 2/3 days. Friday will be a lot better if you can leave it that long and still get there. Otherwise leave it til the 9th!

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Hmm, been to both when they were both almost empty (in October). I prefer Thorpe Park slightly, because it is smaller and has a high density of more extreme rides. Alton Towers is 'prettier' though.

Nothing like going on Oblivion at Alton 5 times :D

Man of Honour
Pretty much even really. But as Andy says above, AT has a lot there but then you tend to walk miles to get round and you need a few days. TP is more concise and a decent day out but as already said, which ever is closest.

Back
Top Bottom