eBay seller wants me to return faulty item at my own cost and will then reimburse me - bad idea?

Associate
I recently bought a keyboard from an eBay business seller. Unfortunately the keyboard is faulty and I need to return it for a replacement.

In the seller's T&Cs for the item they stated that they would "arrange a collection or send postage labels" for any faulty goods collections. However, in their most recent email they told me to return it at my own expense and they would reimburse the postage cost.

My concern here is that once they've received the item they will "forget" about my postage costs. The keyboard is heavy and expensive, so my costs are likely to be quite high.

1. Is the seller under any legal (or eBay rule) obligation to pay for the return postage first?

2. If they refuse to pay for the return postage once they have received the keyboard, can eBay/PayPal take money from them and give it to me?

Associate
If I return under DSR then I'm responsible for return postage (they had the correct clause in their T&Cs), so that doesn't help! ;)

I would've thought DSR is a set regulation. Not one that can be altered by businesses T&C.

If you're that concerned, send it back, gather evidence of them saying they'll reimburse you, if they don't then take it to small claims court.

Permabanned
If I return under DSR then I'm responsible for return postage (they had the correct clause in their T&Cs), so that doesn't help! ;)

They refund you the original postage, you just pay for returning to them, which is quite right tbh.

Them returning the original postage is leaving them out of pocket so you cant expect much more.

Permabanned
Exactly. So, what you should be doing is finding the relevant legal bamf (how is this not a word according to my spellchecker) and sending it to them, stating both your consumer rights and why you will not be budging from them. They will back down.

Man of Honour
Send it back if they don't refund the postage file an eBay complaint with the evidence showing that they said they would, job done.
Although they will probably just refund your postage costs once you've sent them a copy of the receipt anyway, it's not worth the hassle to try and scam you when they know eBay will just give you the money back anyway.

Soldato
I don't see the problem? I do exactly the same with my ebay sales. I repay them the postage they have paid when it arrives back and is found to be faulty.

Agreed, i imagine its to stop people claiming faulty items and getting free return postage only for the item to end up not being faulty.

Just send it back and then take action if they fail to refund you.

Associate
Its good asking about it, but at this point you are left with only one good option, which you've already figured out!

big eBay sellers do tend to want to avoid bad reviews!

Soldato
I've done this several times.

It's easier for the both the seller and buyer if the buyer arranges the return. Just keep the receipt from the post officer, or courier.

Soldato
I would've thought DSR is a set regulation. Not one that can be altered by businesses T&C.

Recent change to DSR means that if a seller states in their T&Cs that they will not cover the cost of returning an item under DSR then it is the customers responsibility and perfectly legal.

However if the item is faulty he shouldn't be returning it under DSR.

Back
Top Bottom