What this Ford transit 350 dashboard light for ??

Man of Honour
because a service isn't always necessary. Just a way for the ford garage to make a bit more money! If it's passed its MOT

Can you please stop offering advice in Motors? Thanks. I'd hate for somebody in genuine need to see a post of yours and take it seriously. Go back to mowing down pedestrians on the pavement on your pushbike, thanks :)

Nobody has mentioned a Ford garage, we've just said why not worry first about servicing it and second about making the light go away. 'Service it' can mean anything from a DIY oil and filter change to a full lube up at the local main dealer, its up to him which he sees is neccesary.

Soldato
OP
It's not my own van...it's my employer van (His daily work horse)

[TW]Fox;12826085 said:
If he's got the nouse to service his own van he wouldnt ask Overclockers what the little spanner icon on the dashboard means.
Yes i do about 90% of the servicing on my employer vans/cars/machiney myself...(Apart from his wife Mercedes)

As for the light,I said to my employer it was a service light when he showed it to me first thing this morning..But he replyed with doubting it was as why would it just come on now after 3years and 30,000miles of use...Which is what made me asked on here..

Last edited:
Soldato
30k is about right, I was driving a rental transit the other day, was just over 30k when picked up, on the return journey the spanner icon lit up. 06 van though, clocks are different, spanner is on its own on the right of the cluster.

Caporegime
because a service isn't always necessary. Just a way for the ford garage to make a bit more money! If it's passed its MOT and he has changed the oil like he says then why waste money?

Why do some seem to think that an MOT means a car is in good condition & fit for the road?

A brand new MOT means neither - ask any tester, he will confirm this.

It (the MOT test) merely means cartain parts of the car are upto scratch, it does not, for example, alert drivers to near shot brake pads.

Servicing is an essential aspect of running any vehicle.

Caporegime
Sure it does, that would be an advisory at best, probably a fail.

No, as long as the brakes perform on the rollers, then it will pass, even if you have about 200 miles left in them.

I say this as I've just had the same issue with my mondeo - it passed its MOT yet one trip to Taunton later (approx 170 miles) the front pads were grinding quite badly.

I was more than a bit annoyed that I'd had no advisory for it.....

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Why did my BMW fail for worn pads then, they performed flawlessly and showed me no signs that they were that low, the sensor had only just worn through.

Caporegime
Why did my BMW fail for worn pads then, they performed flawlessly and showed me no signs that they were that low, the sensor had only just worn through.

Dunno mate.

I went back & moaned at the MOT test centre (they only do MOT's not servicing) and the tester said as it performed fine on the rollers, the brakes passed.

Tbh, on removal of the old pads, the outer ones looked ok, it was the inner ones that were shot (or was that the other way around?) anyway, they are tossers and I won't go there again! ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Maybe they were trying to shaft me for the only thing they could find or something :) I just took it home via partco, fitted them, and returned the following morning to pick up my cert. Wasnt a big deal but its one of the only MOT's ive ever failed.

Soldato
R420 your MOT man is a cowboy then. Inspection of pads is definitely a part of the test, if they were grinding it should certainly have been a fail.

Associate
They were not grinding at the time of the test, 200 miles later, they were, which is what annoyed me.

my picasso had an mot in september it passed with an advisory of excessive worn front pads .

its now nov i still need to get them done although the brakes are fine .

i was going to go to kwik fit to get them done as i wont have to wait long.

any ideas on cost ?

Back
Top Bottom