vauxhall corsa sxi water leak :( 2003 model

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi all,

I have a Vauxhall Corsa Sxi 2003 model

I've been having water leak issue for a while now since Aug 2009 or maybe a bit before that as it was idle for 9months off road.

The leak is in the driver footwell which leads to the back passenger footwell and it's idle at this spot & as far as i know isnt anywhere else

I've gone to Vauxhall and they can't find anything obvious at all and would cost me £300 to get Vauxhall to rip it apart to maybe find the issue.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or clues to look for?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would assume VX have tried all the obvious causes.

Do your heaters work fine? Are you losing any coolant? Is it definatley water?

On the passanger side if you look in the bonnet there is a sealed fuse box. The box is half under the scittle panel and half in the bay. The water from the windscreen should run by this but the seals cn fail and the water ends up in the car.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
I would assume VX have tried all the obvious causes.

Do your heaters work fine? Are you losing any coolant? Is it definatley water?

On the passanger side if you look in the bonnet there is a sealed fuse box. The box is half under the scittle panel and half in the bay. The water from the windscreen should run by this but the seals cn fail and the water ends up in the car.

Heaters work fine and not losing any coolant as far as i know it doesn't smell of anything in the car apart from stale water been trying to vax as much out as possible but atm nothing is working. Also nothing electrical is cuting out nor can i see any water in the lights back or front

I've been reading other posts via google and everything is diffrent

The car is going in to VX tomorrow for new breaks, but some of the posts mention ABS and water coming through the breaks system! But i shall warn VX again about the wet again unless they want a swim :D

Thanks i shall look at the fuse box tomorrow and let you know & im also going to rip up the spare tyer and see if any water is coming via the boot

Last edited:
Soldato
Has the windsceen ever been replaced?
I ask because in the Corsa and Mk4 Astra if the windscreen isn't fitted correctly then water can seep behind the dash and under the carpet when it rains. To check get someone to hose the front windscreen while you clamber under by the pedals and look up, you should see where it seeps in.

Failing this have you checked the drainage holes in the engine bay are not blocked causing water to go down the air vents? My mum had this happen on her old Corsa.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
^^ Windscreen hasn't been replaced since and no other record of it being removed for any reason

year in Aug when it had to go in for a service at VX i said about the water and they checked all the known holes gaps etc. They said they would have to gut the car to find the issue which would cost me £300 just to find a leak

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
But why didn't vauxhall check it if they know its a common fault? It's been dry since 2003 so no idea why it should happen now unless a bung or something has come off etc

Going to rip things apart 3pm ish :D

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
Well so far ive managed to find out where the water can excape ,through the back driver footwell and out of a hole underneeth the car just under the footwell. But it needs pressure to push the water out. Still not managed to find anything in the front all drains are clear.

I don't have the tools at home to lift the car to check underneeth so going to take it to a garage today

Soldato
Well so far ive managed to find out where the water can excape ,through the back driver footwell and out of a hole underneeth the car just under the footwell. But it needs pressure to push the water out. Still not managed to find anything in the front all drains are clear.

I don't have the tools at home to lift the car to check underneeth so going to take it to a garage today

Get someone to shower the car with a hose while you clamber under by the peddles and look up behind the dash. You may see roughly where is comes from.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
Well i took it to quick fit yesturday and the guy had a look and said its an interior issue so gonna have to find a body repair shop .. or just live with it untill i can afford £300 + to get vauxhall to take the car apart

Soldato
Well i took it to quick fit yesturday and the guy had a look and said its an interior issue so gonna have to find a body repair shop .. or just live with it untill i can afford £300 + to get vauxhall to take the car apart

eh? do what's been said above, get someone to hold a hose above your windscreen and climb into the footwell and feel for where its coming from, it'll be a seal around the break housing I'm sure. Also the dash is incredibly easy to remove if needed don't be afraid because it won't be cheap if Vaux do it!

Jay

Jay

Associate
I know this is an old post but my mum's Corsa (2005) had the same issue. She took it to Vauxhall and they wanted to charge £100 just to give the car a "wash" and see if they can see where the water came from.

I had a look and found the problem in 15 minutes.

The brake servo has a rubber seal all the way around it. At the bottom the seal can be submerged where the water drain channel crosses over it. Sometimes this blocks with leaves etc.. and causes the rubber seal to corrode and leak water into the cabin.

Fix:
Clean old leaves/sludge from the water drain channels. Get some good qualitly silicon from b&q etc.. and overlay it around the brake servo seal. Use your fingers/pointy object to press it down to create a good-ish seal.

I did my mums over a year ago and it hasnt leaked since.

You could change the brake servo seal completely but i'm guessing this would cost £300+.

Back
Top Bottom