Frequent train travellers look in - Too old for a railcard ..

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Chaps

Very simple question I’ve just turned 25 and want to start using more trains to travel up the country (London to Manchester). I got my girlfriend a rail card which saves her 1/3 of all fares however as I’m now 25 i do not qualify for one. Is there any other similar discount schemes that i have missed or do i just have to accept i have to pay full wack. If so i might as well keep driving as it only works out a little cheaper when going on the train without the flexibility of having a car for the weekend.

Cheers

Sam

Caporegime
If you are 25 you still qualify for the young persons rail card (16-25) up until the day before your 26th birthday. I think you can also buy a two year one if you want, allowing savings until just before 28 if you time it right (not entirely sure about the latter, certain about the 1 year card though).

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
If you are 25 you still qualify for the young persons rail card (16-25) up until the day before your 26th birthday. I think you can also buy a two year one if you want, allowing savings until just before 28 if you time it right (not entirely sure about the latter, certain about the 1 year card though).

Really? I shall give that a go if that is the case, means i can get from London to Manchester for around £45 at the times i need to travel :)

Sam

Sam

Sam

Soldato
OP
You can only purchase 1 year or 3 years .. Surely if i was to purchase 3 years it would be invalid after i turned 26 ?

Soldato
I think the t&c says you can still use it after you turn 26, as long as you bought it before. Never knew they did 3 years. I bought my last a couple of days before I turned 26 so I could still make the most of it. Someone checked my dob on purchase.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Buy a 1 year one now, and then again the day before your 26th Birthday even if it hasn't expired yet. Thats the best way to maximise coverage.

There is no national railcard for 26-60 year olds, only local ones.

Associate
To be honest, if I don't have a car when I'm no longer eligible for the young person's card, I have no idea how I'll travel. I can't believe how expensive the train is.

Soldato
Someone I, er, know (yes, that will do) went to Kao San Road in Bangkok, bought enough student cards for the next few years and kept himself in young person's railcards into his early thirties.

Very dishonest, though. I don't agree with that sort of behaviour at all.

But, you know, if you're planning a long-haul holiday any time soon...

Back
Top Bottom