Ubuntu runs hot

Soldato
In Vista my CPU (e4500 @ 2.8Ghz and stock volts) idles between 28 and 32. In Ubuntu Intrepid it idles between 47 and 51. I am taking my readings using lm-sensors, and my power settings are "on demand" (tends to run at 1.2Ghz), but even when I set it to conservative or power saving settings it still runs this hot. Any ideas why? Cheers!

Soldato
OP
I'm measuring the temp using lm-sensors, having gone through the whole sensors-detect rigmarole! Speedstep is working fine, the CPU speed tends to sit around 1.2Ghz most of the time, going up to 2.2Ghz (for some reason it ignores my overclock) if I'm doing something intensive.

Soldato
I'm measuring the temp using lm-sensors, having gone through the whole sensors-detect rigmarole! Speedstep is working fine, the CPU speed tends to sit around 1.2Ghz most of the time, going up to 2.2Ghz (for some reason it ignores my overclock) if I'm doing something intensive.

It can't ignore you overclock if it's set in the BIOS.

Soldato
OP
Perhaps LM-sensors is reading the temps correctly?

What app/utility do you use in Vista?

I've verified the ones in Vista by using Speedfan, Coretemp, Intel TAT and Gigabyte's own monitoring program-all match up. Plus my CPU fan is set in the BIOS not to turn on until the CPU temp reaches 20, and when it crosses the 20 threshold in the monitoring apps in Vista it starts spinning up. Pretty strong evidence that the temps are being read correctly in Vista :)

I'm not saying that LM-sensors is not correct though; I wouldn't be surprised if it was correct, as my CPU fan works far harder in Ubuntu than it does in Vista. I'm just trying to work out why Ubuntu runs so much hotter...

While we're at it, I can't get my computer to resume from standby in Ubuntu. Any ideas about that as well?

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom