Spec me a nice area to live, near Crawley

Soldato
Caterham, Esher, Horsham, Claygate, Woking (some parts), Guildford.

Guildford?! that's an hour drive from Crawley.

I was born in Crawley and lived in East Grinstead for 20 years, Crawley is a bit of a pit to be honest, especially areas such as Broadfield. I second Horsham, it's a reasonable area and well connected (I.e it's close to the M23 and you can get a train into London easily, although if you live in Maidenbower or Three Bridges then you can get the First Capital Connect train that goes straight through to Bedford).

Closeby villages include Crawley Down (chav pit), Copthorne (nice, but expensive), towns like Horley (nice enough, nothing special though) and East Grinstead (boring).

Soldato
Weird that, this girl at work used to live in Dorking and says she hated it, turned her into an alcoholic as there was nothing to do except drink. If I could afford it then I'd live in Dorking like a shot - I guess that's how you know when you're getting old :p

oh gee now i feel old!! (i'm 24)

how can a town make you an alcoholic, its you who makes you an alcoholic! Okay we have loads of pubs but no one forces you to go in them.
Most of the time the pubs are full of youngsters.

Dorking's not great I admit that but I quite like being away from the clubs and bars. Maybe that does sound "old" but i like to go out in neighbouring towns for proper nights out and then retreat back to somewhere quiet.

We have a retirement home but i think nowadays there's pretty much an equal amount of young people against old people.

Dorking's expensive because it's an easy commute to most places in particular London. Quite a few people live in Dorking but work in the city.

I wouldn't rule out living somewhere else one day but at the moment i work in Dorking so it's easier for me.

Soldato
The north-eastern side of Burgess Hill is very conveniently located for commuting to Crawley via the A23. That's where I live anyway. Haywards Heath is okay too.

Crap town, but located near to Brighton which is probably the best thing about BH.

Caporegime
When in the UK I live in East Grinstead, which is very near Crawley. However the daily commute is a nightmare, the road system getting from EG to Crawley is anightmare, and if there's any roadworks going on you're screwed. There's also no train link from EG to Crawley as some **** of a landowner once decided he didn't want a railway going through any part of his land.

My vote would go to Horley... it's a very small but very pleasant and tidy town just on the outskirts of Crawley and enjoys direct rail links with Crawley and London, it's literally a 10 minute commute to Crawley train station every morning, I nave friends that live there and like it. It's also next to the motorway and has good road links to the airport etc.

Horley is too far away imo, as are Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill, and I don't like the place either. Go for Horley.

Soldato
There's also no train link from EG to Crawley as some **** of a landowner once decided he didn't want a railway going through any part of his land.

Not quite mate, there WAS a line (Worth Way) but Dr. Beeching shut it down. Trains from East Grinstead Upper station (where the car park is now) used to go to Three Bridges. There was talk of putting the line back but the original lines have since been built on, which is why the Bluebell Railway is kinda marooned.

What part of EG you from? I hail from the Gardenwood Road area.

Caporegime
Not quite mate, there WAS a line (Worth Way) but Dr. Beeching shut it down. Trains from East Grinstead Upper station (where the car park is now) used to go to Three Bridges. There was talk of putting the line back but the original lines have since been built on, which is why the Bluebell Railway is kinda marooned.

What part of EG you from? I hail from the Gardenwood Road area.

My old man lives Ashurst Wood mate, best place to be in that area imo, quiet and relatively chav-free!

Associate
Used to live in East Grinstead too, well Felbridge but pretty much EG. Went to college in Crawley and worked at Gatwick for a few years. I'd probably suggest Horsham too around that area, unless you fancy living in a little sleepy village of which there are quite a few nice ones about.

Soldato
OP
Well, my plans have now changed somewhat. The misses is pretty much refusing to move much further than Woking, as it's nearer to home :(
So, this means an hours commute for me, weyhey!...

SO, what's the Woking/Guildford area like? Any nice villages/towns around there?... :o

Edit: Appreciating the input though guys, thanks :)

Soldato
I used to work in Crawley very near to Manor Royal - it's a bit of an odd place and very "pocketed" in terms of type of people.

I guess it comes down to how much money you have. As for every bad place mentioned here (maybe with the exception of southgate and langleydesh :p) there are nice parts in each. For instance the north eastern part of ilfield is nice whereas the west/southwest part is a bit of a dump. Theres also a new housing development northeast of ilfield green and south of willoughby fields which is far enough away from langleydesh. That would make your drive to work 5 mins up bonnetts lane (where i used to work) and along past the airport.

Back
Top Bottom