Ghost...

Permabanned
Hi guys, this is my first project log so be patient :)

Just to warn you, progress may be slow at first cos I'm skint, but hopefully will speed up soon.

Now, for the important part:

This build is centred around a watercooled NZXT Phantom, my awesome case.

Hardware ATM is as per sig, i7 860, Xfire 6950's, P55-gd65 etc... Will be replaced as I go, hopefully with sandybridge and some if possible less hassle GFX cards :)

Now this is how the case looks so far:
IMG_04731.jpg

IMG_04741.jpg

IMG_04751.jpg

IMG_04761.jpg

And the side panel (into which I should be cutting a window in tomorrow :))

IMG_04771.jpg

The sum total of this mod is a roof mounted triple rad, floor mounted dual rad, lot less hard drive bays, custom mounted SSD, custom cut window and some fancy Side panel work :)

So stay tuned, will update in a few hours...

(Oh and sorry for crappy pics, being a skint student my iPhone camera is the only one I can use :()

Soldato
Camera really doesn't like those lights....

Also, was thinking of doing a similar thing myself when I was considering getting a Phantom, was basically going to just remove the 200m fan mesh on the side, and stick a window in instead :)

kd

Soldato
:p skint student and iPhone in the same sentence

Look forward to how you're gonna approach this one. I've been toying with cutting out half the hard drive cage and mounting a pair of 240 rads where the dual 120mm intakes are, and turning the 200mm side intake into a big triangular window.

Oh, and a little suggestion because it REALLY annoys me. You know how the black mesh areas look grey because they show the white case underneath? Paint the area behind it black! I know I am :D

Permabanned
OP
:p skint student and iPhone in the same sentence

Look forward to how you're gonna approach this one. I've been toying with cutting out half the hard drive cage and mounting a pair of 240 rads where the dual 120mm intakes are, and turning the 200mm side intake into a big triangular window.

Oh, and a little suggestion because it REALLY annoys me. You know how the black mesh areas look grey because they show the white case underneath? Paint the area behind it black! I know I am :D

Yeah I bought the phone at the start of the year when i actually had money ;)

And I'm gonna do something interesting with that mesh area, just waiting on the acrylic to show, then will get cracking... Mind you I won't be watercooling for a little while :)

Permabanned
OP
Right! Finally, after almost a month, I HAZ UPDATEZZ!!!

Stripped down the gfx cards to reapply the TIM after the Asus magically started working again :p (no idea how :confused:)

IMG_0480.jpg

Finished dremeling the window in to the side panel :)

IMG_0490.jpg

Another quick shot

IMG_0491.jpg

(Ignore the scratch, I shall be spray painting that.. err.. ledge back as soon as I have the acrylic cut to shape :)

Hard drive bays removed, and the taller one cut in half to allow a rad with PP fans in the bottom of the case :)

IMG_0493.jpg

Another shot

IMG_0494.jpg

And the mesh replaced, side window reattached to see the progress so far, can't wait to have the acrylic cut to shape, it's rather special :)

IMG_0495.jpg

Another shot, showing more of the case:

IMG_0496.jpg

And one final close up of the window so far :)

IMG_0497.jpg

Still to do: Spray the ledge bits black, cut the acrylic to shape, install watercooling, after which I shall cut the side fan mounts out, doing the same as with the main window, possibly putting a res there :)

Thanks for the patience guys :)

PS: I honestly can't think why the Phantom doesn't ship like this from the start, the window looks a lot better, and there is no room to install a side panel fan if you have a decent sized CPU cooler...

Last edited:
Associate
I quite fancy just the mesh panel there actually. Think going just acrylic might spoil it a bit. If you get some nice positive pressure going the mesh panel ought to be fantastic for cooling too!

Permabanned
OP

Yeah, I thought it looked pretty good as well, It's just a lot harder to see through in the daylight. The acrylic I have is lightly frosted, so should diffuse the light very nicely, and I was also going to etch Shayper into it :)

Associate

Aargh.. due to the extreme level of student skintness I now have to wait till friday for the next update... Why you ask? I can't afford masking tape :(

LOL! Tell me about it...periods of extreme affluence (*cough* student loans *cough*) alternating with periods of extreme overdraft debt and living off pesto + selling all the useless rubbish that you've bought in the past month.

Permabanned
OP
Right, thanks to oldphart I should also have the 360mm rad through this week as well, cannot wait! But was just wondering, was going to use both the rads as intakes, with the front 140mm fan as intake and the rear 120 as the only exhaust, as I read the radiators like cold air :) would the positive air pressure that this creates be a problem, or would the benefits outweight the negatives? Thanks guys :)

Permabanned
OP
Quick update:

Wc gear is all sorted for arrival tomorrow, thanks to Oldphart, his missus is on a mission :D. Decided not to get gpu blocks, gonna wait till the next gen for that :)

So sum total of gear that's meant to arrive tomorrow:

XSPC Rasa 240 kit, 360mm radiator with three Xilence fans (Cheers Chris :))

And not sure when this is gonna arive but thanks to Ace Modder I have a 1.2kw PSU on the way for a cracking price (Cheers Lee :))

Roll on tomorrow! :)

Back
Top Bottom