Moss Bros bespoke experience

Man of Honour
Does anyone have any experience with the Moss Bespoke service?
They've got an offer on for the Luxury cloth and signature pack for £295 to me that sounds like a good deal for an almost custom suit especially as I'm a bit of a strange shape and off the rack requires a lot of tweaking anyway.

Caporegime
Spend more and do it properly.

e : That wasn't very useful. Moss Bros will give you a very average suit which may or may not suit (hurrr) you and will almost certainly not fit you where it needs to. A smaller, local tailor will be better able to spend the time necessary to measure and fit you. He might charge a bit more but the result will be significantly better in my opinion.

Last edited:
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;25798434 said:

e : That wasn't very useful. Moss Bros will give you a very average suit which may or may not suit (hurrr) you and will almost certainly not fit you where it needs to. A smaller, local tailor will be better able to spend the time necessary to measure and fit you. He might charge a bit more but the result will be significantly better in my opinion.

100% agree.

For my brothers wedding we found a small independent who had infinitely better choice nicer suits, and great fitting and tailoring. And not that much more in terms of cost.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;25798434 said:

You aren't even in this country so do you actually have any experience of the service offered?

I'll add on my opinion, based on facts as I have used them myself. I paid £310 for their luxury cloth with signature pack plus a pair of extra trousers. The fit is superb, I felt they measured me really well. It was good fun picking the cloth, trim, interior colour etc. All in all it took about 6 weeks from start to finish as they send your specifications to asia for it to be made then they make any alterations you require after the fitting.

My suit has worn pretty well, I travel a lot so went for the navy birdseye cloth and it still looks great. I was warned not to get the suit jacket dry cleaned to frequently as the shoulders can sometimes sag.

Man of Honour
For a cheap "better fitting than off the peg" suit - I say go for it. It's not much money and that would be the cost of a relatively cheap suit as it is, so if they're able to tailor it even a little it's a good deal.

Caporegime
You aren't even in this country so do you actually have any experience of the service offered?

I'll add on my opinion, based on facts as I have used them myself. I paid £310 for their luxury cloth with signature pack plus a pair of extra trousers. The fit is superb, I felt they measured me really well. It was good fun picking the cloth, trim, interior colour etc. All in all it took about 6 weeks from start to finish as they send your specifications to asia for it to be made then they make any alterations you require after the fitting.

My suit has worn pretty well, I travel a lot so went for the navy birdseye cloth and it still looks great. I was warned not to get the suit jacket dry cleaned to frequently as the shoulders can sometimes sag.

Hi Adam. I used MB several times when I was younger and lived in the UK. They cater to the "quick, cheap and cheerful' brigade and that's fine, I have no issue with that. The fact is, though, that a suit for 300 pounds is not going to last and will not fit very well in most cases. You can argue this point if you like, you are wrong.

A suit is an investment. It is an extension of you and you should feel comfortable in it, you will look amazing in it and it is not a chore to put on in the morning but a privilege, a joy.

The OP would be better off going to 3 tailors, ask to be fitted, compare prices, and negotiate.

I'm glad you found MB to be worthwhile though.

Man of Honour
OP
I won't be spending more than about £300 on a suit because I've got a seriously expensive year coming up, so maybe a better way to word it is
"Does anyone have any experience in using them and is the fit better than off the peg which has things turned up and nipped in? My usual suit place is Slaters so nothing high end."

Soldato
I've never bought a bespoke suit from MB but the chap who runs their bespoke service used to run a tailors that I have used.

Very good suit, very good value for money. The only downside was the wait of about six weeks.

I assume that MB's bespoke service will be very similar but can't say for certain.

Soldato
Mags, what has happened to you? Never seen such serious responses! I love your bit about making the suit a joy to put on though, it's absolutely true.

However, I think you'll get a better suit than a £200 off the peg one, but it's not going to be as fantastic as a standard tailored one.

Man of Honour
There are loads of other options in the measure and Asia route. I have used king and Allen a few times. They do baste fittings/as many fittings as needed which is what you want.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Who are those tailors which you can meet in Liverpool Street St., etc. and they take your measurements.

I think you get a fully tailored basic suit for about £300?

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;25798526 said:
Hi Adam. I used MB several times when I was younger and lived in the UK. They cater to the "quick, cheap and cheerful' brigade and that's fine, I have no issue with that. The fact is, though, that a suit for 300 pounds is not going to last and will not fit very well in most cases. You can argue this point if you like, you are wrong.

A suit is an investment. It is an extension of you and you should feel comfortable in it, you will look amazing in it and it is not a chore to put on in the morning but a privilege, a joy.

The OP would be better off going to 3 tailors, ask to be fitted, compare prices, and negotiate.

I'm glad you found MB to be worthwhile though.

This may be a bit less understanding. MB bespoke is slightly different in that you go in for a fitting, they tailor it to you and then make it based on your measurements. Admittedly it's still sourced from china for the actual making process but the whole point is this is tailored xorrectly.

Now I have no idea on the quality of the fabric, but for a cheap tayloring perspective it seems like a good option

kd

Associate
I won't be spending more than about £300 on a suit because I've got a seriously expensive year coming up, so maybe a better way to word it is
"Does anyone have any experience in using them and is the fit better than off the peg which has things turned up and nipped in? My usual suit place is Slaters so nothing high end."

How did your MB suit come out?

Permabanned
ITT: I want to spend silly money on a crap suit but it's bespoke, so the mouthbreathers of GD's sartorial group will approve.

Meanwhile, on Saville Row...

Permabanned
Suddenly I feel alone in hating suits. They are restrictive, hot and uncomfortable. Certainly not a joy to put on. Ties - if you really really think about it - look utterly ridiculous.

I refer you to my earlier post.

A suit that fits you is very comfortable, has you wanting to put on as often as possible and looks the bees knees. If you spend £20 on a suit it will be crap. If you buy an off-the-peg jobby it will usually be a crap. A proper, tailored suit is not only a joy to wear, but have you looking like a fricking boss in no time.

Soldato
I refer you to my earlier post.

A suit that fits you is very comfortable, has you wanting to put on as often as possible and looks the bees knees. If you spend £20 on a suit it will be crap. If you buy an off-the-peg jobby it will usually be a crap. A proper, tailored suit is not only a joy to wear, but have you looking like a fricking boss in no time.

I am a boss. I don't wear suits.

Why would I spent many hundreds of pounds on a suit I will never wear? They are a relic of a bygone era.

Back
Top Bottom