Best way to transfer money with a Natwest account?

Soldato
Hi,

A friend i'm travelling with needs to send me some money to my account, the problem is he's with Natwest and they never told him he needed a card reader to make money transfers.. For some reason their online banking is terrible and this appears to be the only way. It's can't even be done over the phone.

Are there any options anyone can think of?

-WesternUnion charge silly fees and it wouldn't go straight to my account anyway.
-Paypal, silly fees.
-Getting the cash out using a debit card wouldn't get it into my halifax account, i'd have to but it in my Oz bank and wire it across so would probably incur fees and currency fluctuations.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Why doesn't he just order a card reader? Takes a few of days to arrive and the transactions are perfectly simple. I find their online banking pretty good actually :p

Also, if anyone he knows has a natwest cardreader he can borrow theirs.

He's in Australia with me and they don't send them abroad. We are not in any one location for more than a few days either. :p

Dang...
Phone up natwest and do it over the phone?

Caporegime
Hi,

A friend i'm travelling with needs to send me some money to my account, the problem is he's with Natwest and they never told him he needed a card reader to make money transfers. For some reason their online banking is terrible and this appears to be the only way. It's can't even be done over the phone.

Natwest online banking is terrible? News to me, I find it very good. You only need a card reader to set up the payee, not for each subsequent payment, it's all in the guff when you sign up for the account.

Associate
Natwest online banking is terrible? News to me, I find it very good. You only need a card reader to set up the payee, not for each subsequent payment, it's all in the guff when you sign up for the account.

+1 although you need to use the card reader to add the payee and the first time you transfer to a payee. After that its all plain sailing though. Certainly beats Nationwide and Co-Op

Natwest can give you a card reader in-branch. They did for me anyway.

Don't think there is a branch in Australia

Soldato
OP
Robbie, the card reader info wasn't mentioned to him when he was speaking to someone in branch before he came to Oz. I suppose it's not very fair of me to tar all of natwest based on that. It seems a bit of a hassle compared to say Halifax that doesn't have any restrictions or constraints for money transfers.

Paypal is set up now, the limit is 1k anyway which is fine. Does the sender incur fees when sending a gift so the recipient doesn't or are there no fees at all?

Soldato
Natwest online banking is pretty good imo.

It might be a hassle to use the card reader but at least it's secure. If somebody does get into your account they can't just transfer the money away.

Associate
To be honest, if he needs to wait for a card reader to get to him from the uk he might as well just send you a cheque through the post.

edit - Ignore me. Missed that you were both in Oz :)

Last edited:
Associate
Natwest can do transfers via their Telephone Banking option, it just takes a couple of days to transfer. I have done this a few times without the need for a card reader.
The number is +44 8705 888 444 and dont take no for an answer, it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom