Do hospitals have wifi?

Caporegime
Don't underestimate the importance of keeping sick people in touch with their loved ones and giving them the ability to manage their affairs, such as banking etc.

It may not be the most important thing, but it IS important.

All the hospitals I've worked in have bedside monitors that allow email, phone, tv, radio and some allow browsing. The facilities are in place, they've been put in by a outside agency however so you've got to cough up to use it.

Man of Honour
All the hospitals I've worked in have bedside monitors that allow email, phone, tv, radio and some allow browsing. The facilities are in place, they've been put in by a outside agency however so you've got to cough up to use it.

When my gran was in hospital to use even the most basic features on this system cost the best part of £25... per day!

I've not been to a hospital in quite awhile fortunatly - whats the deal these days with using wifi and mobile phones/3G dongles in general? used to be all turn your phone off yada yada at the door.

Soldato
(sorry for going off topic, but thread has already been answered)

Hiya buddy, I remember you posting in a thread I made about getting into medicine. At the time I think you were fy2 or something, how are you doing now?

Caporegime
When my gran was in hospital to use even the most basic features on this system cost the best part of £25... per day!

I've not been to a hospital in quite awhile fortunatly - whats the deal these days with using wifi and mobile phones/3G dongles in general? used to be all turn your phone off yada yada at the door.

You're not meant to use your phone's on the wards but every ward I've been on everyone is using them.

Hiya buddy, I remember you posting in a thread I made about getting into medicine. At the time I think you were fy2 or something, how are you doing now?

Just finishing ST1 in Paediatrics, neonates is boring the life out of me! :D

Soldato
Just finishing ST1 in Paediatrics, neonates is boring the life out of me! :D

Haha, nice one, so you passed SHO without getting struck off then :p. I imagine pediatrics would be a very interesting specialty to be in.

I'm trying to prepare for the UKCAT, it's probably the most frustrating test I've ever seen :o

Caporegime
Shedloads of extra radiation in a hospital in the vicinity of sensitive equipment? Can't foresee any problems with that!

Once you've seen a horde of anaethetists surfing on their iphones mid-operation you begin to wander how much of the phone ban is "TO PROTECT THE CHILDREN!!!!!!" and how is actually because it's a lot quieter on the ward without everyone texting and calling.

Caporegime
In an NHS hospital if you get served anything better than gruel you're doing well. Don't expect basic amenities like tv/phone/broadband. After all you're only seriously ill in hospital why should you expect any comfort?

Soldato
Was in two hospitals a couple of years ago.

The NHS one had nothing, no Internet on pay tv at bed either.

The private one had WiFi.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure how true it is but my colleague explained that he managed to get free internet out of those bedside monitors by simply plugging its ethernet cable into his laptop.

I don't know the hospital you're on about but here in Stoke there is no way you could plug into an ethernet port and get anything.
We have 3500 Dell computers on our site that are locked down securely with Sophos encryption and I'd be very surprised that any hospital is different.
Security is that tight that I'm one of only 5 people who are allowed to burn data to CD's (so IT told me).

Soldato
Am I right in thinking it would also interfere with the equipment or is that not the case anymore?

Last time I went in I was told off for trying to even use my mobile phone. :(

Man of Honour
Atleast in the last hospital I spent any time in (not as a patient myself) there was no way to plug a laptop into the bedside monitors, the cables were embedded in the arm and went straight into the wall conduit (I think each room had their own switch locked away in a cabinet).

Permabanned
In many Hospitals the use of Mobile phones etc is prohibited in specific areas and around specific equipment. It is usually clearly marked.

The use of 3G dongles and Mobiles in wards in our local hospital has been allowed for some time. (within reason)

Soldato
I'm not sure how true it is but my colleague explained that he managed to get free internet out of those bedside monitors by simply plugging its ethernet cable into his laptop.

I will be shocked if they are not using at least a proxy server with domain authentication. The hospital will also be in breach of several policies that they have to abide by.

Am I right in thinking it would also interfere with the equipment or is that not the case anymore?

Last time I went in I was told off for trying to even use my mobile phone. :(

It has never been the case. We've had wireless heart monitors for well over 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom