Builders - Why so rude and unreliable?!

Soldato
I'm an engineer and write specifications all the time but can I get a general builder to give me quote on a basis that allows me to compare like for like. Can I buggery. Lots of builders are keen to make it difficult or just don't understand what you're after. I guess the bigger the job the more likely it is you'll get some show of competence.

edit: i should frame that statement, can i get a good quote for a small job. No

Associate
The biggest problem I have giving quotes is getting through to people that sometimes you really can't estimate the amount of work that will have to be done initially, especially when dealing with old property that is being refurbished. Unless the place is stripped back, you can't say 100% for sure what condition the building is actually in. I try to quote for the job in stages, and mention to the client from the get-go that there may be problems at key stages which will have to be addressed if problems arise (and give an idea of what that would cost too).

Thankfully that doesn't always happen, and it's good when you can tell a client that no further work is needed - they do tend to appreciate this approach!. Although sometimes you get the odd woefully overoptimistic **** who has watched too much Sarah Beeny and thinks you can double the price of a place by swapping out Kitchens and bathrooms.

They are the ones builders don't get back to......

Associate
edit: i should frame that statement, can i get a good quote for a small job. No

I can have some sympathy here, but is it worthwhile for a builder, to say, come out and hang one door?. I've been asked to before but to be honest it would probably take me longer to get my tools in/out the vehicle!

Sorry, but sometimes small jobs really aren't worth it, I'd say try and look out for a semi-retired person after a bit of cash who doesn't have the overheads.

Back
Top Bottom