Western Digital software killing performance?

Associate
Hi All,

I am currnetly investigating why my Dad's PC is running so slowly and hoped the forum may be able to enlighten me.

Firstly I deleted all the bloat ware and rubbish on hist system before running CCleaner and doing a DiskDefrag. The system still ran poorly so I looked in the Norton performance alert logs, interestingly almost all of the alerts are for:

"High CPU usage by: WD File Management Engine"
and
"High disk write usage by: WD File Management Engine"

My Dad has an external WD hard drive so has the WDSmafrtWare software installed, however this does not run at startup. It seems instead that this is a WD service which is running in the background.

Am i missing something or is it crazy that software for an external HD is even running in the background when not needed?

So to the point, is this a known issue and is it definitely the software for the external HDD?

If so what is considered the best backing up software/utility to use? Is the windows 7 backup feature any good?

Thanks

Soldato
i believe Win7 backup only does images, if you want images its VERY good if you want to backup certain folders Sync backup is free much better :)

Back
Top Bottom