Asus Transformer Pad 300

Soldato
Damn - what a major oversight on Asus's part. What were they thinking?

I suppose it is a toss up now of an alternative spec tablet for around the £300 (unlikely) or trying to get the TF300 for less than the £399 being asked for.

I have only managed to find it for £389 so far.

Any other sellers doing it for significantly less than that?

You are right, bundled only is a bit short-sighted, your only way around could be to try and flog it to America via electronic bay?

I was under the impression that Currys/PC World/Dixons were the only retailers at this point, and they are selling at £399.

Where have you found £389? And does anyone know if they are in store in the above retailers?

Associate
Thanks for that. I saw the tablet on Pixmania.

It was £389.99 a short while ago, but it is suddenly sumped up to £392.99 - weird. Still every little helps.

I am in Essex and a PC World and Currys a few miles away have them in stock to collect now.

Not to go off topic too much, but what would be my other options for a 10" android tablet for around £300 and similar specs?

Soldato
How bad is the imbalance when it's docked in the keyboard? And the build quality of the keyboard itself?
imbalance? there is none, even at full opening the whole thing's still weighted down by the keyboard.

the keyboard itself is barely different from the eeePC keyboards, but obviously it's on a thinner base, I can't really fault the build quality of it.

When you've got it docked the whole thing just feels like one device

Associate
Interesting point about the exclusivity period.

Would it be more cost effective just to go for a Transformer Prime without the keboard dock?

They have been out for quite a while now and I cannot see these for sale on their own either.

Any advice on where I might find one?

Soldato
Interesting point about the exclusivity period.

Would it be more cost effective just to go for a Transformer Prime without the keboard dock?

They have been out for quite a while now and I cannot see these for sale on their own either.

Any advice on where I might find one?

I don't think you'll find one anywhere I'm afraid.
2nd hand might be a decent bet, try the bay.

Soldato
Headed down to a few shops this afternoon to see one of these in the flesh.

First impressions very nice, the build quality is very good and the plastic back is actually really nice, and quite grippy too which is good.
As Abraham said, no sense of top heaviness whatsoever which was mentioned in reviews. When locked into the dock it really does feel like one item, really secure.

Performance wise I only had a quick poke around, but it seemed smooth as butter. And for what it's worth it booted and the entire setup procedure was complete in no time at all.

The only niggling thing is that the screen isn't everything you could wish for. With the iPads just across the table from me it was hard to ignore the retina display.

Ultimately though, the 300 offers so much more value for money when you consider storage, the keyboard and connectivity/battery life added by the dock.

As soon as my overdraft extension is approved I'm clicking order.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for sharing your findings, it seems like a solid unit!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to harp back to the Infinity again, as you have mentioned about the 300's somewhat lacking display. It just seems kind of pointless shelling out £400 for on one of these when the Infinity, the flagship, with it's superior display is slated as coming in June or July.

I think I can see myself jumping on a Galaxy Tab 7.7 until the Infinity comes about, then I'll see from there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Puchased yesterday.

Impressions are very good. Love the build quality and overall slickness of the machine. The tablet docks perfectly and feels very sturdy, the keyboard feels high quality and the ICS runs like a dream.
Switching between docked and undocked mode is very pleasing too, it's no hassle at all the quickly dock it when you want to do a quick bit of typing.

I had a few doubts after seeing it in-store, and comparing it to the iPad, but using it at home I find it difficult to question the brightness, colours and resolution of the screen. Sound is great too.

Only gripe at this stage would be that the camera isn't as great as you might expect, but this might just be in comparison to the SLR-taken pictures I've been viewing on it.

Has anyone else bought one?

Soldato
Thinking of grabbing one of these but does anyone know how to find out the price of this in Japan?

I'm going to be there next week most likely so may buy it there is it's significantly cheaper.

Any ideas how to find out?

Edit: Scratch that, just bought one. Couldn't wait. Like it so far!

Last edited:
Soldato
you guys are lucky...bigger market, better prices....we're doomed here in slovenija.

549€ with keyboard, 499€ without.....bloody high price if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom