Does your university cap resits at the pass mark, or give you zero?

Soldato
Need a quick survey of different universities....

Basically, I've got my degree results today, and found out that my second year resits were automatically given zero, rather than being capped at a pass mark. This seems ridiculously harsh to me, seeing as how badly it will screw up any average. It takes me from a 2:1 to a 2:2....

From a quick browse of other university websites it seems they cap at 40% or whatever the pass mark is. I'm looking to appeal my degree classification, and so it would be good if I could also point out other universities don't use this zero rule (or maybe some do, I don't know yet...) then it might add weight to my appeal.

Cheers

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
how can it be capped at 0%? surely that means that taking the resit is totally pointless?

and at mine its capped at 40%

Soldato
OP
how can it be capped at 0%? surely that means that taking the resit is totally pointless?

and at mine its capped at 40%

It's "only used for progression purposes" apparently. It's completely ridiculous. I messed up my second year, so I worked my arse off this year, got a high 2:1 average, but I get a 2:2 because of my resits in the second year. It means doing anything in the third year is pointless basically. My tutor basically just said "that's how the system is" and told me how someone he knew had got all 2:1s, except one exam, which he resit (and thus got zero), and he ended up with a 2:2 overall! He just sorta said "we all thought it was injust but there was nothing we could do". Complete bull****, of course there's something you can do, you can flippin' change the rules. He said they had the rule because of "legality" or some rubbish. It basically means if you mess up your second year you have zero (literally) chance of getting a 2:1 in the third year.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
It's "only used for progression purposes" apparently. It's completely ridiculous. I messed up my second year, so I worked my arse off this year, got a high 2:1 average, but I get a 2:2 because of my resits in the second year. It means doing anything in the third year is pointless basically. My tutor basically just said "that's how the system is" and told me how someone he knew had got all 2:1s, except one exam, which he resit (and thus got zero), and he ended up with a 2:2 overall! He just sorta said "we all thought it was injust but there was nothing we could do". Complete bull****, of course there's something you can do, you can flippin' change the rules. He said they had the rule because of "legality" or some rubbish. It basically means if you mess up your second year you have zero (literally) chance of getting a 2:1 in the third year.

What's the point in doing a re sit then? My tutor / lecturers have never said this?? Thankfully I just found out my result a few hours ago - my tutor was kind enough to email them! Good old Dr Ray!

As far as I was aware (pointed about by Prof Bennett) if you re-sit you're capped at 40% and no greater. You get 40%, not 0%. Unless we've been lied to, but my school is different. Is it a Uni wide thing or do different schools in the Uni have different policies?

Soldato
Capped at 40%. If it's already stated that your university or departmental policy is 0% though, you're going to have no grounds to appeal :s. Dig out the university regulations and see where you stand.

Soldato
Cap 40% at 2 uni's that I have been doing degree at. I appealed three resists in final year so I could get UPTO the 100% mark under extenuating circumstances (which were fully legitimate). It is taken to a panel and they decide etc on whether you can do them in full again, or resist at 40%. Due to reasons I was given chance to resist at 100% level and absolutely flew threw :)

Is VERY odd that 0% is given as that is extremely harsh! What is there reason? Because the real world doesn't allow failure? Uni isn't the real world as such!

Matthew

Associate
If he got a high 2:1 in the 3rd year then he's clearly shown he knows the stuff.

It seems very harsh that they'd make you resit an exam just to let you through to the next year without giving you any marks. Resit marks are capped at the pass rate at Imperial too.

Your personal tutor sounds like he doesn't care or feels you don't deserve better. You need to build up a relationship with him so that when the time comes he will be there to support and fight for you. Not really possible anymore in your situation but it's something for the younger ones to take note of.

Back
Top Bottom