Best way to dispose of mattress?

Soldato
Hi kids,

I'm getting a new mattress as my current one is getting a bit old now and I'm wondering what's the best way to dispose of it.

I've checked my local authority and they'll do it for £40 which is a ridiculous amount for one thing! I would take it to the dump myself but I doubt it'll fir in my car!

Has anyone used another company to get rid of theirs?

Thanks,

Cas.

Commissario
Depending on the size of the mattress and if it's really dead (as opposed to you possibly being able to give it away), you can usually fold them over/roll them up enough to get them into the back of a car/onto the roof rack safely - depending on the mattress you'll probably want either rope (if you can fold it enough and hold it whilst tying the rope), or ratchet straps (which will compress it, and hold it).

CrixxzeH, I'm guessing it's a standard charge for two men, and a suitable van - our council has a similar charge and will take up to 5 items on the back of a large van (I think the exact number of items varies depending on type/size).
Which given that they'll take a couple of washing machines or similar away for that price isn't bad, as the likes of Comet will usually charge about £10-20 to do the same when they deliver your new one (so they aren't even having to send the van out specially).

Soldato
Just put it on the car roof no? Don't need roof racks, get a couple of canvas straps and tie it through the doors. Can't imagine it will shift anywhere if you do it up tight.

Soldato
If you want someone to get rid of it leagally it will cost you. Your options are to take it to the tip yourself or pay another person who can lagally transport the waste and tip it.

I cant see anyone wanting a second hand mattress.

Back
Top Bottom