• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CUDACoin Effective Nvidia CUDA Mining Finally Here. Protoshares Update Could Signal the End of AMD M

Soldato
[Editorial] Something very interesting happened in the far reaches of the internet. A seemingly insignificant update of a Cryptocurrency called Protoshares made its rounds on the other side of clearnet. The update you see, opened up the full power of CUDA. AMD GPUs are very low on stock thanks to Litecoin, but there is an abundance of Nvidia GPUs to go around (in that regard). And it would appear it was inevitable that a new player would enter the scene.

NyyIxkV.jpg

http://wccftech.com/protoshares-update-effective-cuda-mining/

Soldato
Wonder if it's crossed the minds of Nvidias marketing department that it would probably be cost effective regarding increased sales to slip someone a few grand to create cryptocurrencies deliberately gimped for AMD cards :)

Caporegime
CUDAcoin has to gain some value for it to be viable let alone "End of AMD Mining Monopoly"

CryptoCoin is very well established, its even recognised as a legitimate financial service, an increasing number of retailers are accepting it as currency.

The odds are stacked against it, CryptoCoin miners know that.

Soldato
To be honest, I myself not bother going with the whole mining thing. As just a PC user and gamer myself, I really do not wish external factors like these driving up the prices of the graphic cards...

Soldato
CUDAcoin has to gain some value for it to be viable let alone "End of AMD Mining Monopoly"

CryptoCoin is very well established, its even recognised as a legitimate financial service, an increasing number of retailers are accepting it as currency.

The odds are stacked against it, CryptoCoin miners know that.

What nonsense, theres already bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin, and a host of others, there is absolutely no reason why a new one wont be viable

The word CryptoCoin means nothing in itself as there are a dozen or more types of CryptoCoin already, with bitcoin just being the most well known and correspondingly the most difficult to mine (e.g. Pointless to mine with any gpu)

Soldato
Oh lord now these penny pinching stay at home pocket money farmers will have more stock to nab.

On the down side they might not want to as they'll have to put the central heating back on....

Soldato
I hope it gets a good client then, because I tried Mining last year and couldn't get started, and the easy 123 abc set up on the clients were for AMD.

Associate
Never tried mining. Its nice that AMD will lose its monopoly, although it might drive Nvidia prices up if it takes off.

Ultimately I am sure that the craze will probably die within a few years.

Soldato
For this to be viable, a coin using that algorithm has to be worth something. It'll be difficult to get started in a sea of new short lived alt coins.

it's all about the Doge at the moment, I think it will only become more popular and increase in value.

Soldato
I got the idea from the link in the op that these coins were already established and remain largely untouched as up until this new script was created, only cpus could take advantage of it?

Caporegime
I got the idea from the link in the op that these coins were already established and remain largely untouched as up until this new script was created, only cpus could take advantage of it?

Dozens of scrypt based coins are worthless, most of the market is based on speculation, you can't easily speculate on a low value, low mined coin so it will likely not gain traction. Considering the choice now between buying a 780gtx and getting a small amount of boost from a coin that is worth nothing, and getting a huge boost by buying a AMD gpu so you can mine a coin that is already worth something, where will the buyers go? It's a simple choice.

Look at the numbers they said, 12 cpu cores 430, a gpu 900 for that particular coin.

A current hexcore intel chip will get 50kh/s or so, while a 290x can get 950+ kh/s, an almost 20x speed up for a coin that has value that will pay off the hardware you buy.

Spending an even higher price, for a magnitude less in speed up 2x vs 20x, for a single coin that has no current value, that can't make certain of hardware payback let alone profit? Who is going to spend enough to make enough huge farms to pump enough value into the coin that it may possible become popular... the answer is no one.

Coins are gaining real value when they get HUGE support from the community, the ones that get little to no support and little to no mining to no where at all.

Soldato
Won't support die off as soon as they get near impossible for the majority to mine? End up getting users to look outside of bc/lc/dc?

Its not something that interests me a great deal anyhow, if I want some extra cash I'll just do some extra hours at work, probably less effort too :D

My only interests stem from associated hardware price hikes.

Caporegime
Its not something that interests me a great deal anyhow, if I want some extra cash I'll just do some extra hours at work, probably less effort too :D

My only interests stem from associated hardware price hikes.
And at least at work, you actually make some money. The amount of power used when running theese various mining setups bound to cost a fair chunk. Id be concerned about price hikes as well, particularly when you see the prices that amd cards are going for at present.

Soldato
The point of the alternative coins is that they are easy to mine, you can then easily convert them, if you can mine them quickly they gain popularity and the value goes up, you can then convert them to Bitcoins and realise a better value than the coin you actually mined in the first place

Memory coin has a high wattage cost to mine and consequently has a higher current value than most of the scrypt coins, gaining popularity from nvidia card owners now able to mine effectively could push it higher as the network difficulty also increases (so the earlier you get in the better your return will be)

basically all of the smaller coins are like a ponzi scheme, the sooner you get in and making sure you cash out before it all falls over the better

Back
Top Bottom