Mondeo ST220 Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm going to be buying an ST220 in the next couple of months, and have been looking round at my options for tuning. Pumaspeed seem reasonably well respected, and they offer a ST250 upgrade kit which upgrades to 250bhp,but its a grand and just comprises of Dream Science remap + miltek exhaust + k & n 57i induction kit.

Now ive got a couple of concerns

1) reading about on ST Drivers / pistonheads some actually doubt if the remap provides anything noticable at all

2) it uses a k&n induction kit, widely regarded to be absolute pants

Given the questionability of the above 2, im not happing forking out a grand for it. It has crossed my mind to just get a blueflame S/S exhaust to give the V6 a bit more of a nice exhaust note and not worrying about alledged performance gains (or lack of)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-S...38786QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Associate
DS remaps are generally good, but I am not too sure about the ST220 and its current state of tune.

As for the KnN, aslong as you put some good shielding in there, and get it as far away from sources of heat, and pop in a Cold Air Feed then it should provide good results :)

As for the exhaust, if you are after a full system I presume milltek/blueflame are the ones to go for.

1,000 does seem about right though
DS Remap Device - 400/500?
Exhaust system - 400 max?
Knn with a shield and some ducting - 100?

Caporegime
OP
the pricing is fair for the components used

its just a question of price versus results. And whether the extra 30bhp gained from £1000 is worth it, given that some say its not going to be 30bhp, according to ST drivers.

At least if i forked out £400 on a s/s exhaust, id be rewarded with a nice exhaust note. So that has an abvious and guaranteed difference.

Caporegime
OP
apparently some TVR tuner that did work on Ford V6s was offering a supercharger kit for them though.

TVRworks they were called. Theres a post a couple of years back i came across while googling. It was on pistonheads and linked to the site, But the sites gone now, and with it the company i presume.

Soldato
the turbo /supercharger kits from the US should fit the mk3 mondeo aswell might some fettling on the pipe work but thats about it. Then these are performance exhaust manifolds from the US which will fit but will need a custom made exhaust system due to the way they have done the ST220 stock system

Caporegime
OP
nope. decent stainless exhaust will be £400 no matter where you go. Camskill sell on the blueflame system, and thats £400 there too.

Same goes for the miltek system, its about £400 on its own no matter where you go. And you just cant get remaps for much less than £400 these days.

The price for the components used is fine, the query was more related to the benefit of said components. Ie is it worth getting the kit when its got a K&N induction kit in it. Theres a 2 page thread with everybody slating them on these very forums.

And then like i said, others have doubted if the remaps make any difference. And there are even some who say the stainless exhaust systems loose power ..

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I'd be sceptical about 30bhp with 'just' those mods personally, but guess depends how bad the stock equipment is.

Caporegime
OP
me too, and theres far too many people saying the mods arent that good either, ie the K&N induction kit

I think i may just get a blueflame 'zorst so it sounds nice.

Soldato
that seems cheap if its a full milltek system, I presume it's just the CAT back for that price.

A CAT back milltek and a generic remap would be lucky to see a 20bhp gain on a N/A, the k&n kit will most likely lose you power compared to running the standard airbox with a panel filter.

The best way to get gains would be get a remap, generic or custom then get a full milltek system, including downpipe and high flow CAT. That would probably see 30bhp but will probably cost more like £1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom