*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Stu

Stu

Soldato
There's no way I'm being bent over to the tune of £40 just for 8gb.

I agree that is a painful price jump; and is one of the reasons I changed from the Google Play order to Currys... factoring in shipping and discounts, the 16GB is only about £14 more than the 8GB from Google Play.

The problem is while it can support USB audio-out, it's still up to the manufacturer to enable it at a root level, and even then some devices seem to work and others don't.

It appears that the Nexus 7 does support USB audio-out - http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/30/gear4-speaker-dock-supports-usb-audio-for-jelly-bean-at-google-i/

Associate
im back!

questions i have asked so far:

That is what i asked so far. he went to the google conference

Answer's are.... odd. S3's GPU is far more powerful than the Tegra 3. It's has a better SoC- even a 1.5Ghz T3 is slower than the S3 SoC and the SoC in the N7 is under-clocked.
Also how can the N7 screen be exactly like the Galaxy Nexus. One is SAMOLED, the other is IPS. One is 7', the other is 4.65'.

Soldato
Answer's are.... odd. S3's GPU is far more powerful than the Tegra 3. It's has a better SoC- even a 1.5Ghz T3 is slower than the S3 SoC and the SoC in the N7 is under-clocked.
Also how can the N7 screen be exactly like the Galaxy Nexus. One is SAMOLED, the other is IPS. One is 7', the other is 4.65'.

I think you have to take his comments as perceptions

Jellybean has been no doubt developed closely with NVidia optimising stuff, project Butter as a prime example.. all user perceptions so far of the tablet have been that's its the smoothest experience ever.. Sure that might not be truly down to Tegra3, but as I said 'perceptiions'.

The screen comment I take as it looks as good as an S3, i.e. sharp, vibrant, etc..

Soldato
Soldato

its smoother then his gs3.

the N7 screen quality is as good as the galaxy nexus but he sais the gs3 screen is still better

Man of Honour
I've had a play, can thoroughly recommend them. :)

2h4f5o9.jpg

af91qt.jpg

Man of Honour
Hardly being bent over for the price of the unit though are you? The amount I will use it I am not bothered by that in the slightest, anything to make life slightly easier ;)

You have managed to justify the cost to yourself, good for you, but £40 for 8GB is definitely a rip off when USB OTG is absolutely no issue at all for me.

Soldato
im back!

questions i have asked so far:

Is it faster then your S3?
Yes it is because of JB and 12 core Gpu

I don't own an S3 and don't plan on doing so (so no bias here) but his reasoning for it being faster as it has a 12 core GPU is uneducated. The GPU in the Tegra3 is slower than the highly clocked Mali-400 in the S3. General UI drawing doesn't require a powerful GPU, any improvements in the user interface are purely down to Jelly Bean and the S3 will be faster in games.

Soldato
There's just been a "bit" on Bloomberg about an Apple competitor to the GN7 and the Kindle F2, 7 to 8 inch form and cheaper, released before the end of the year.

Legal cases to follow as it's inconceivable that Amazon, Google or the countless small Chinese concerns haven't copied this latest Apple act of creative genius in introducing to the world a smaller form factor and a price that follows suit for tablet computing, now we know where Samsung got the idea for the Tab 7 and 7.7.

Man of Honour
OP
Is it faster then your S3?
Yes it is because of JB and 12 core Gpu

what is the screen quality like?
exactly same as galaxy nexus

That is what i asked so far. he went to the google conference

He went to the Google conference and he's coming out with golden lines such as those? Oh dear! :p

Soldato
For a second i thought there was no thread on this on these forums.. Thank god theres a search button lol.

I can't really expand too much on the excitement and interest in this device, but like most here as soon as i saw it i could tell it's going to be something a little special and probable hit. I have used a few tablets in-store but haven't actually taken the plunge to get one yet. Ipad3, W8 Surface Pro and now this little beaut, Loving all 3 of them. The new Ipad with its gorgeous screen, refined aesthetics and huge App range... The Window 8 Surface Pro just because it's a full computer tablet where you dont have to necessarily layout money on apps when you can just use all your Windows programs on it.. and finally this the Small, Powerful, Cheap Google Nexus 7. All have their uses but t i wouldn't worry about carrying the Nexus 7 everyday in my bag/jacket pocket and it would be my main workhorse. The Ipad and Surface Pro i would generally would want to keep at home or maybe occasionally taking it over to a friends house to show it off :D

Still love all 3.. and purely because of the price, size and specs the Nexus 7 will be my first tablet :)

Back
Top Bottom