Income Tax Reclaim Help

Man of Honour
OP
Do you have your P45s from your previous jobs this tax year? If you do it may not be too late to get the refund sorted out this tax year through your wages.

If you do have the P45s, then hopefully so do HMRC, so try the following.

Talk to your payroll department and find out when their cut off date for applying new tax codes is. If they say they still have time this year to use a new code, then ring HMRC. Check with your employer if they will accept a P6 to be faxed to them from HMRC. (P6 is the employer version of the notice of coding). If the answer to the first point is yes, then call HMRC and wait till you get to speak to someone.

Go through your jobs this tax year (from 6 April 2011) with them to check their records are complete, and make sure they have the P45 details from all previous jobs this tax year. If they have, then yo uwant them to issue a cumulative code to your current employer including your previous pay and tax. If our employer said they would accept a fax, ask them to fax the P6 to your employer. Otherwise you rely on the notice of coding getting to your employer electronically, or by post.

Your employer will then apply the new code with the previous pay and tax details, and give you a nice refund.

If HMRC (or you) don;t have all the P45 details, then this won't happen this tax year, and you will have to wait until after 6th April to get it sorted. Same if your employer says it's too late to apply a new code this year.
Superstar, this sounds genius! Will try it tomorrow :)

Associate
PAYE works cumulatively over the tax year. If you earn a steady amount each month, then you will pay the same each month over the year. If you get a large extra amount in one month, you will pay proportionally more tax on that one payment. However, it will even out over the coming months if your pay returns to normal.

thanks

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Firstly yes you will definately need to speak to them on the phone, I have to call them up every year to get a tax refund.

Secondly you might as well wait until the end of the financial year, as previously mentioned if your empoyers are efficient on their side, you will not need to do anything and after a simple call they will say they have everything they need and they will send you a cheque for £x. If you want the refund NOW you will have to fill out forms and send them off etc, which is why I always wait until the end of the financial year.

Soldato
Superstar, this sounds genius! Will try it tomorrow :)

Do be quick though, I'd imagine it is nearly the cutoff for most monthly employers for the final pay run of the year!

If it makes you feel worse I can tell you a story of when HMRC mucked up my PAYE code. Rung the number, got bored of waiting after 5 minutes. Got the agent dedicated number (for tax advisors) which is higher priority than the normal line and got through straight away. Issue resolved nice and quickly.

The lady on the other end did get annoyed though, apparently not the proper use of the resource. I did offer to authorise my firm to be my registered agent which I could fax through and call her straight back after I'd authorised myself. She didn't take me up on it though.

Back
Top Bottom