• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Haswell/Broadwell may not work in current motherboards....

Caporegime
Was waiting for something like this to appear.
Does anyone remember the Ivybridge won't work in current boards?
Haswell needs a new PSU?

Will this be the one time some scare mongering is actually accurate :p?

Haswell refresh is due in 2014, I'd be surprised if it didn't work in pretty much every board.
But, having said that, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Broadwell land on a different socket/Need some sort of rejig with boards, that's not to say that it'll play out that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Classic Intel daylight robbery.
If Intel did what AMD did just tweaked and modified the same architecture over half a decade, they could have made same socket to last longer, but it would be at the cost losing relatively huge amount of performance progression.

But yes I do agree that the performance progress for Intel's "core series" over this last 4 gens has be quite pathetic, particularly with Haswell they could have make something with a relatively big increase over the IvyBridge, but instead, they chose to focus their effort targeting the mobile market instead, and left desktop users on the spot of having a not much faster CPU with lower power consumption and better integrated graphic- which means very little to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
But yes I do agree that the performance progress for Intel's "core series" over this last 4 gens has be quite pathetic, particularly with Haswell they could have make something with a relatively big increase over the IvyBridge, but instead, they chose to focus their effort targeting the mobile market instead, and left desktop users on the spot of having a not much faster CPU with lower power consumption and better integrated graphic- which means very little to them.

999 out of 1000 "desktop users" don't actually need faster CPUs though. Gamers with multiple GPUs do (that's not exactly a huge market), as do people doing serious computation, but they use clusters or GPUs. The vast majority of desktops, which have been dwindling in number for a long time, get by just fine on 5+ year old CPUs.

The audience who want faster CPUs just for the sake of it (this forum) are a tiny, tiny, minority, compared to the tens of millions of people who want small/mobile computing. So can't blame them really.

Making a new socket every year is excessive though.

Caporegime
They don't make a new socket every year though.
Socket 1155 was over 2 years old before it got replaced.
Ironically AMD has done that with their more consumer chips their APU's, FM1/FM2/FM2+ with no forwards compatibility.

Soldato
999 out of 1000 "desktop users" don't actually need faster CPUs though. Gamers with multiple GPUs do (that's not exactly a huge market), as do people doing serious computation, but they use clusters or GPUs. The vast majority of desktops, which have been dwindling in number for a long time, get by just fine on 5+ year old CPUs.
Since when PC gamers are NOT desktop users? :confused:

"Desktop users" pretty much cover everyone using a PC.

Last edited:
Associate
As I'm unlikely to upgrade again for another 3 or 4 years, I'm not that bothered about this. i'll want a new mobo around next upgrade time anyway, I'd imagine (DDR4 and god knows what other improvements). I also share some skepticism about the source of this "news".

That said, if it is true, then it's a bit of a poor show. Constant socket refreshes feel a bit like a lack of forward planning, or a desire to force upgraders onto a new platform.

Soldato
Would Broadwell be even released on desktop? Last I read it was saying that Broadwell would be BGA/Ultra mobile socket cpu only.

Haswell Refresh is still meant to be on the current 22nm process.

Permabanned
where did you read that wingzero? I heard that it would be haswell refresh aka broadwell but at a later date and the lga sockets would be first for mobiles etc.To be honest i think it may be scaremongering for those on the fence for 4930k or 4770k but then again it is intel and they have no competition!"

Soldato
Haswell Refresh is still meant to be on the current 22nm process.

Yeah I though the Haswell refresh '5770K' would be a drop in 22nm CPU, maybe with higher clocks and more cache, or better IGPU? Would act as a stop gap until 14nm is ready?

I think Intel don't want to put 14nm chips against Haswell -E tbh, could cannibalize that market..

Back
Top Bottom