Mondeo Mk3 - Buyers guide/common problems?

Soldato
My Leon Cupra R is being advertised this weekend in favour of something cheaper. A house is more of a priority than a car at the moment.

I have been looking around and a Mk3 Mondeo looks a good buy. What do I need to look out for?

I have seen a 2002/52 TDCi Zetec with 112k on the clock. Normally i'd be a little warey of mileage this high, but they seem to cope with the mileage well. How much should I be looking to pay?

Associate
Don't think rust is a problem on the MK3, I would be looking to pay around 2k for that car with that mileage dependant on the service history. I paid £1.7k for a 2002 1.8LX with 43k on the clock with full service history back in October.

Caporegime
I'd get a Petrol version with less miles on the clock. I'd fear that a high-ish mileage diesel will start generating some big bills to keep it on the road.

Associate
I have 52 plate zetec TDCI 130bhp its now on 63k miles and have not had a problem with it, i purchased it a year ago with 46k miles, and its been fine.

Had to clean out the egr valve, and replace the front springs.

Its performance is ok, mpg is now averaging 42mpg, which is not brilliant but ok. There was a facelift around 2003, which changed the front fog lights and grill, and also changed the dash, along with standard equipment.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;13622664 said:
A petrol one would be a more hassle free ownership experience.

Is there a consistent problem with any of the major three components on the TDCI 130?
I'm looking to downsize (or that could be upsize) but I know the 1.8/2.0 petrol will be so boring to drive ;/

Soldato
OP
I think i'll continue looking for a 2.0 petrol. I don't do loads of miles so i'm wondering if the TDCi will be of benefit anyway.

I'm not persuing my enquiry of the car I mentioned above. I sent an email question and got an arsey reply of "ring me on xxxxxxxxxxxxx" to which I replied that i'd be unable to until Friday night due to work, can you please answer the following questions. To which I received a reply of "please ring me so we can talk about the car".

I mean seriously, are some people so lazy that they would risk loosing a sale?

Associate
Check the bottom edge inside the doors of any MK3 you view, as there was an issue with the seam sealant used by Ford which tended to fall off, thus leading to corrosion! My MK3 did, however I was lucky to get it fixed by Ford under warranty, but I think the subframe bushes are on their way out...

Back
Top Bottom