• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Eh, competition is good, should bring down the price of GSync as well. I'd like to see how good it is, I'm obviously not as clever as AMD's engineers but it seems that fiddling with the displayport protocol is unlikely to produce equivalent results to an FPGA with 1GB Ram, but I'd be happy to stand corrected.

If we see £500 RoG swifts after this, I might buy two more :D

Associate
So its called freesync??

maybe ill go full retard and expect AMD to ship me a new FREESYNC monitor because after all its free? :eek::eek:

Amd dont control the price of monitors. A 120Hz panel costs more than a 60Hz one for obvious reasons. But you pay more for New features.
Similarly 3d is free but nvidia 3d is not.

Is that even its official name anyway?

Soldato
Guys, I wouldn't dwell on pricing too much, if any cost is added, regardless of how much more or less that is vs gsync it should be entirely worth paying a bit more for.

This isn't just some minor feature, provided it a as good or better then gsync you're in for a treat.

The biggest gaming upgrade you're likely to make at the moment. It removes that thought of 'bugger, only hitting 50fps on this latest title, better buy a new card'

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK. :D

So IPS and Freesync, boooooooooooooooooom! :)

Caporegime
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK. :D

EXCELLENT NEWS! :D Once you go 21.9, there is no going back!

Any idea on the likes of DELL, AOC, Samsung 21.9/ultrawide freesync monitors?

Also, any idea on pricing?

And lastly, I presume the 29 and 34" monitors will have more or less the same specs as the current monitors?

TIA!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Wow, that's a coup. If only they were 120hz, but even at 60hz that's a massssssive win for OcUK and AMD. I hope nvidia impliment freesync now ;)

I'm still skeptical of freesync until I've seen side by side reviews, AMD said HD3D was going to be as good as 3Dvision and that turned out a mess...

Soldato
OP
Well i never implied it also just so you know. But AMD normally do inferior versions of products and that is me speaking from experience not brand loyalty because i have none to no one. And what im trying to say is G-Sync is the same you get what you pay for, And im willing to bet on it.

And about the freesync naming, It aint about the cost! It is about all those months AMD spent crying and moaning on forums about the GSync cost as if they had a free versions ready to go. It has been so long people have forgot about how much they dissed it. And in the end only 100 bucks shaved off on thier version? :eek:

If you lucky enough to already own a Freesync enabled display then it will be a simple firmware update.
If we go by what we know on the bases of the spec sheet Freesync offer less overhead than Gsync and a much better refresh rate range.
What this all means we after wait and see, but a good start will be csgo and multi GPUs.
Why Multi-GPU? Well reading Gregster thread on nvidia shocking frame latency to date Gsync is also not doing very well. Lol so this much better tech you speak of is having issues as we speak.

And something that cost much more isn't always the best lol

A users wants to play pc 1080p 60fps you have two choices. He not interested in Mantle or Physx just performance. What build would you get him buying?
1. I7 4790K + 980 build
2. 8350 + 290x
Am going to bet you would have him over paying. For same performance.

Caporegime
I can't see any monitor getting an update.
Besides, how does one firmware update a monitor? I'd imagine the only way would be one of those which have a USB Upstream one.

Shanks, your example is also kinda crap because of the FX83/i7 comparison.
I'd never pick an FX83 with any 290X/980, I'd much sooner put them on an i5 4670K.

Soldato
OP
I can't see any monitor getting an update.
Besides, how does one firmware update a monitor? I'd imagine the only way would be one of those which have a USB Upstream one.

Shanks, your example is also kinda crap because of the FX83/i7 comparison.
I'd never pick an FX83 with any 290X/980, I'd much sooner put them on an i5 4670K.

That's your choice and still you saved him money wouldn't you :p and why would you not go FX83?? remember its only for 60fps 1080p it will handle a 290x with easy.

Huddy said they is already monitor out now that just need a firmware update and then ready to go. What monitors? good question

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you believe an i5 4670K and FX8350 are equal at gaming, then there's no point going any further.
I'm sure we're always hearing how frame rate isn't the whole story.

And I really don't care what Huddy says (And besides, I've said the same thing anyways, multiple times, but hey ho!)

Soldato
Shankly,

Don't knock what is known against the unknown-Freesync could be crap, it's not tried and tested.:p

Will be interesting to find out if it's a one shoe fits all approach with game profiles or whether it's going down the individual driver profile route, Iv'e asked in the ask huddy thread but no reply as yet-if I even get a reply.

Will Cross/Tri/QuadFire work the same as single mode, is there extra driver work required?

Via vga/hdmi/dp cable, using manufacturers stand alone updater within windows.

Soldato
OP
If you believe an i5 4670K and FX8350 are equal at gaming, then there's no point going any further.
I'm sure we're always hearing how frame rate isn't the whole story.

And I really don't care what Huddy says (And besides, I've said the same thing anyways, multiple times, but hey ho!)

Am not saying the FX83 is better than i5 4670k.. Not what I said!
What I said is you will get the same performance from either playing at 1080p 60fps.

Soldato
OP
Shankly,

Don't knock what is known against the unknown-Freesync could be crap, it's not tried and tested.:p

Will be interesting to find out if it's a one shoe fits all approach with game profiles or whether it's going down the individual driver profile route, Iv'e asked in the ask huddy thread but no reply as yet-if I even get a reply.

Will Cross/Tri/QuadFire work the same as single mode, is there extra driver work required?

Via vga/hdmi/dp cable, using manufacturers stand alone updater within windows.

That is true! I am ready for disappointment :p I can easy keep doing what I doing right now.

Caporegime
Am not saying the FX83 is better than i5 4670k.. Not what I said!
What I said is you will get the same performance from either playing at 1080p 60fps.

Can you not read? I said "equal". Not better.

And again, we've been getting rammed down our throats that frame rate isn't the defining factor of performance.

The two won't be "equal" as a blanket statement, even at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom