Job - Time Off for moving house - Entitled or Not?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been in permanent employment now for 1 year and 2 months nearly, and about to move house. Am I entitled by law to have some days off for this?

thanks!

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
Yup - thats about the size of it.

Then I'm stuffed. My boss is very greedy and doesn't like to give out very much. We get minimum holidays already, last year i became father and didn't get a single day paternity leave either. There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

I can't wait to hand my notice in this summer!!

Permabanned
Dr_Evil said:
Then I'm stuffed. My boss is very greedy and doesn't like to give out very much. We get minimum holidays already, last year i became father and didn't get a single day paternity leave either. There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

Isnt 2 weeks paternity leave a legal obligation now?

Plus you're allowed 26 weeks off before the kids 5th borthday - you could use some of that....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10029398

Permabanned
Dr_Evil said:
There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

It isn't for your employer to accommodate people like that. If someone can get into work then they should come into work, or quit / be sacked. I think you expect too much. If that and not letting you have time off to move constitutes a bad employer then I think you've led a sheltered life.

Soldato
Dr_Evil said:

not to give you some paternity leave is illegal.

the old lady should go to the doctors and get some time off work and talk to the CAB about how to get help at work, perhaps she should consider a wheelchair to help her moving about in the office, the employer might think about letting her work form home. when he has to modify to whole office to allow wheelchair bound workers access.

however you should take holiday to move house.

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
Isnt 2 weeks paternity leave a legal obligation now?

Yes but a requirement is:

have been with your employer for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the beginning of the week when the baby's due and

and I was there for 7 months before the birth, not qualifying. So legally he didn't have to give me anything, but realistically he could have given me a couple of days at least.

Visage said:
Plus you're allowed 26 weeks off before the kids 5th borthday - you could use some of that....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10029398

I think you misread that.

Back
Top Bottom